Maybe some of you guys who are familiar with Hitachi UHO 83 can educate me on fitting size. I would like to replace the all of the hoses from the machine to the boom. (4 top and 4 bottom, will probably do all of them on the arm while I'm at it.) I'm having a hell of a time figuring out what kind of fittings are on the machine. Are these things JIS fittings? I can comfortably thread a 3/4" NPT male fitting into the hose fittings but obviously the inside taper isn't right based on what I see on the fitting on the machine. I doubt that it's a JIC and know nothing about british standard or JIS. Can someone simplify this for an old fat hillbilly?
Sorry planedriver, can't help you with specifics on the uho83 but I do see quite a few BSP threads in machines and they can look very similar to others, surpluscenter.com has a some handy ID chart for a few things.. I know this probably won't help you in this case but it's handy to have around.
Can you post some pics of the male and female fittings? I'm like Ronsii, I know nothing about that Hitachi model, but BSPP is pretty common on Jap machines, yes there are JIS and Komatsu JIS fittings, but I haven't ran across a Hitachi that uses JIS, don't mean it ain't possible though
BSP an JIC have the same threads only the tapers are very different.
If it's BSP it'll most likely have a sealing washer on it and look somewhat like an O-ring boss. Pics would help greatly.
Thx..... All of you guys are lifesavers and it looks like you are are all on the trail. I'll try to get some pix tomorrow and post them up. I just got in above my pay grade with the tapers.... How in Sam Heil do I know the difference between 27% Britt and 30% JIS??? (jk) As my fix anything guy says; "Anything will fit if it's goin' fast enough." Thanks again all and I'll work on the pix soon after daylight.
In no way am I being disrespectful, but I'm all about info being accurate. BSP and JIC do not have the same threads. BSP (British Standard Pipe) and BSPP (British Standard Pipe Parallel) are close to NPT (National Pipe Thread), but even they are different. 1/4" NPT has 18 threads per inch where 1/4" BSP and BSPP has 19 threads per inch. JIC (Joint Industrial Council) has SAE threads, totally different threads than NPT or BSP
OK so it was closer to the crack of noon vs: the crack of dawn but here are the pix.
They didn't show up on my computer. You might check the size of the photos, they may be too large. As I recall Hitachi used BSPP on most all their hydraulic fittings. It us just the pipe thread pitch without the taper. The nut just hold two flanges together with an O ring seal. BSP, BSPP, NPT, SAE and USS all measure thread pitch by numbers of thread per inch. JIS is metric, typically used in Japan, and measures the distance between threads in millimeters.
If the pix don't show up try this link. My 1st time using photo bucket so this is a crap shoot. https://robssharedpix.shutterfly.com/pictures/8
Looks like BSPP to me. So many options, and some JIS fittings use the JIS cone but BSPP threads. Ugh....
Agreed, looks like BSPP to me as well. You should be able to find info online (male thread diameter and thread pitch) to confirm.
BSPP male: 1/2" = 20.96mm (.825) / 14 TPI 5/8" = 22.91mm (.902) / 14 TPI 3/4" = 26.44mm (1.041) / 14 TPI 1" = 33.25mm (1.309) / 11 TPI
That's a BSPP ball nose fitting. The nut is BSPP which is straight thread with what looks like a compression fitting somewhat like a ferrel. In this neck of the woods we have to go to a specialty hose and fitting place or the dealer in order to source those.
Gentlemen: I can't thank you all enough. I'll double check the threads and measurements in the morning. Shortly after that I'm gonna make the people at my online hydraulic supplier earn their keep for the day.
Unfortunately a lot mismatches will screw together and people do it. We had a minor drip on a track loader for years and never found it until we pulled the trans. A mechanic had used a 45° fitting and screwed it to a 37°.
Yes sir, sounds the wrench bender used an automotive SAE fitting and connected a JIC fitting to it. Both fittings use SAE threads so they'll fit together with ease, only (big) difference is the flare for the seat, the JIC is a 37 degree flare, the SAE fitting is 45.
I know if I can just get it tight enough it will quit leaking!
Or Teflon tape, lots of Teflon tape! After all...Teflon tape is used on all hydraulic connections, including o-ring connections, right?
It's only 8 degrees off. About 50 ft lbs extra torque ought to match them
Flex Seal!!!