Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Fix it or part it out?

carogator ยท 2009-10-19 21:00

Have a 6500 tractor loader backhoe that lost a hydraulic pump. Found a new one for $1300.00. but should i spend that to get it going and maybe have a transmission problem, or part it out?

Replies4
  1. #1river ridge hoe2009-10-20 00:27

    just making my first posts guys

  2. #2Tinkerer2009-10-20 07:35

    I was in pretty much the same position when I bought my Case 680. Although it didn't need a hydraulic pump it needed a lot of other parts that have cost as much as I paid for the machine. Here is what I took into consideration before I bought it. 1. What will the machine be worth after I invest the purchase price and all those parts. In your case you already own the it. 2. What would it cost to buy another machine instead of one that is known to need a lot of parts. Any used machine will have unknown hoses and and parts that are going to fail. 3. If I were in your situation I would buy the pump. I don't think you could sell your outfit for very much in the condition it is in. Also you already know what you have with your 6500. What if you buy another outfit and next summer the pump fails in that one? Hopefully someone else will give you another opinion. I am only stating what I would do in the same situation.

  3. #3carogator2009-10-20 09:31

    thanks for your input, i have been thinking a lot about this. i only need it for a couple of months use, at the most. if the pump would be all that i needed for that time, it would be nice. or i might be able finish the job with the same money. i just don't know.

  4. #4dpage022009-10-28 12:14

    $1300 sounds like a lot of money, but in the long run the invesment is worth it.