I have to take out the engine on our backhoe. There's a crack in the fuel tank which needs to be welded and its behind the block. I don't have a manual and havn't done this job before. Just wondering how hard it is and what kind of "challenges" one might run into. Will be using an excavator to lift it out- at this point anyway.
I've never pulled an SK engine or even a Cummins in the earlier models come to think of it. I did recently change the front motor mounts on my K. After removing the hood, the front rad/cooler assembly came off quite easily. I had to take my hydraulic pump and front motor mount bracket, off. The pump spline was seized to the coupler. The hydraulic tank had this huge drain plug which took my 1" drive bar and about 7'of pipe to break it loose. Maybe there's an easier way to do this. At this point I think the engine would come out quite well, but I'm not sure if the torque converter would stay or not. I'm hoping someone else will jump in...Phil
That's a pretty long winded way to do your mounts Phil - you can just undo them , jack the front of the engine , tap them out , bit of rubber grease on the new ones & bolt em up - under an hour. Need a good long socket extention & magnetic pick up tool. Rob - do all what Phil said & leave the convertor housing attatched - is it cracked along the top section of the chassis - along the weld next to the rear mount? Seen a few there.
Just finished downloading a manual. If I remember right (it's been awhile), the crack is towards the front of the tank. Won't be doing the job until things slow down a bit more. Thanks for the input!
looking for a link to service manual for 580 super k
Welcome to HEF, Noah ! https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=case+580sk+service+manual&_sacat=0&_sop=15