Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Flail mower recomendations.

keif ยท 2023-07-07 18:14

I want a flail mower for my tb260. So far I've price an agrotok $2200 but is chinese and requires a case drain. Lipa 6-7k Italian made no case drain needed. Usa mowers 15k usa made but I don't want to spend that much. Is there any other brands in the 3-7k range I should look at. Excavator is 12700lbs and 27gpm aux1 flow. Thanks!

Replies14
  1. #1rbrown2252023-07-07 19:41

    Don't let the case drain scare you. I have added one to a TB175 by running it along the boom and using an empty port in the hyd tank. The hose is not that expensive (surplus center) 3/8 or 1/2" 3000 PSI. I am running a Cimaf mulcher and they recommend no filter on the case drain.

  2. #2keif2023-07-07 19:44

    Thanks! How do you like the mulcher?

  3. #3Gary Layton2023-07-08 12:58

    I tried to buy a TB260 during Covid...not available when I needed it. The dealer had a TB370 which I bought. I had already bought a Rockhound Defender FX26 mulching head and planned to use it on the TB260. You do not need a case drain for the Rockhound Defender. We use it on clearing jobs locally near Atlanta and at our farm in S. GA with very good effect. It has been reliable and does a good job. You can see the mulcher in action at 2:22 The TB260 is supposed to handle this size mulcher. My TB370 is closer to 15K pounds so it is more stable than the 260 will be.

  4. #4rbrown2252023-07-10 19:30

    I like the mulcher when working on steep grades, however it is about 4 times slower than the head on the skid steer. Each has its purpose.

  5. #5Digger1112023-08-16 18:10

    We have a Lipa flail mower on a smaller Cat 304, we have been well satisfied with it. We have maybe 200-300 hours on it so far and no issues, its really well made.

  6. #6keif2023-08-16 22:30

    I'm sad to say I ended up buying the Chinese unit for $2000. Haven't had a chance to hook it up. Been too busy putting in conduit for fiber lines to mess with it around home. You gotta make that money when you can! Hopefully I'll get a break between permits to give it a go.

  7. #7IceHole2023-08-17 14:57

    I have one of their bush hogs for skid steer. It lasted about an hour before needing work. Granted I wasn't expecting much for the price.

  8. #8Welder Dave2023-08-17 16:03

    Tighten all the bolts or even replace them before you put it to work. Read in another thread about loose/poor bolts on a Chinese vibratory roller or something like that.

  9. #9keif2023-08-17 16:32

    Yeah I'm going to check it over well. There are two you tubers that have had one for a couple years now. Looks like I'll have to weld a brace to the hydraulic motor mount plate because the belts make it flex. Other than that the guys were happy with them. I'm just using it around the house and farm not for making money.

  10. #10Welder Dave2023-08-17 17:21

    If you know of weak area's definately fix them before you put it to work. Also check the welding. Have seen some really poor welds on import attachments they sell at RB auctions.

  11. #11keif2023-08-17 17:23

    All the welds look good except for the welds holding a small price of metal on to balance the drum. That looks like a 3 year old who isn't good at welding took a shot at it, don't want to say all 3 years olds because some could do better. Lol.

  12. #12keif2024-03-01 19:25

    I finally got a case drain installed and used the mower for the first time this evening. Worked well and the 260 spun it up very nicely.

  13. #13Digger1112025-02-09 19:41

    Can you update this thread on the $2000 Chinese unit Keif? I have a friend who bought one and he had intiial problems and the Mfg was MIA when he called and emailed them.

  14. #14rbrown2252025-02-10 18:14

    As said earlier, Check all the bolts and replace as needed. I have a cheap Chinese Harley rake and had several bolts loose (some were only finger tight) and replaced critical ones with better grade bolts (i.e. motor mount bolts were 5.8)