G'day just wondering if anyone has experience with flail mulchers and how effective they are in heavy stubble? Do they do a better job than just a standard pasture topper, or do they burn too much fuel for very little benefit? Cheers Alex
Hi, What type of stubble are you chopping maize/ corn or wheat, how much pto hp do you have available and what width are you expecting to chop in one pass ? What type of ground preparation do you intend for the next crop ?
I have a 100hp FWD MB Trac, i have a 2.3m Falc mulcher on behind it, its a heavy vineyard unit, with hammers rather than the Y type blades. I was hoping to run the mulcher on the front of the tractor with a direct drill unit on the back. Nothing super wide, but killing two birds with one stone so to speak.
What see are you planting? What is the depth that it requires? http://www.constructionsales.com.au...__Nne=15&trecs=1&__D=berti&__sid=14111A972079 They use a newer German tractor to run this mulcher on the front. I would think if there are small stumps still remaining you might over sow the area with a roller drill/ air seeder combo instead damaging direct drill tynes. http://www.duncanag.co.nz/products/seed-drills/roller-drill (this type has been around for a while) http://www.allencustomdrills.co.nz/cms/ (these guys put robust drills together)
The pastures i am sowing are ryegrasses, clovers, vetch and other cereals. So round the 5cm mark. A good many properties are burning their cereal stubbles because they cannot get a seed drill to successfully drill in without blocking. The mulcher will be used to reduce the stubble to crushed mulch, and the seeding will be through that layer.
Are there any cross slot drills in your area? I do not know what your soil dynamics, how heavy your stubble residues etc are. Cross slots book is worth reading. http://youtu.be/3Cwzc-iN8N0 (Cross slot planting in stubble- usa) You can re-equip an old seeder with cross slot equipment sometimes. Some people like cross slots, others prefer strip till and other methods. Strip till, direct drill into stubble. http://youtu.be/NlpNg6RiG_0 Using something like a spiked rotor with a mounted air seeder would be a bit slow for a large area.
Intetesting concept there I was thinking of using a standard double disc opener. The soil conditions I work in range from heavy red volcanic soils to sand to very heavy black clay.