Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

flat bed ideas

theronbt ยท 2014-02-24 13:40

I have a 2001 ford f250. The bed is so rusted its about to blow off the truck. I have been looking to get another one but they are $1800-2800. I don't want to spend that kind of money on a this truck because I use it for hauling firewood and as a work truck. I am looking to build a steel flatbed my ?'s are What are some good ideas in building a flatbed? What is the best material to make it out of? I can cut and weld so I know I can build it cheaper than buying one. Any ideas would be appreciated. If you have built one how did you do it? What would you do differently?

Replies14
  1. #1barklee2014-02-24 15:05

    I would try to find one at a junk yard and modify it. Or buy a used one that fits your application. Building one from scratch isnt a cheap affair with the price of steel these days. Plus with all the labor, lights, wiring, paint, etc. I would surely think you could buy a used one or modify for much less time and money.

  2. #2Scrub Puller2014-02-24 16:12

    Yair . . . theronbt in Australia standard pickup bodies are generally considered impractical on a work truck and are rarely seen. Various manufacturers supply bodies with features as shown in this link. They have evolved over time and are pretty standard up to about F250 size. You might get a couple of ideas. http://triplemholdings.com.au/steel-tray/ Cheers.

  3. #3td25c2014-02-24 18:36

    How about building the bed out of wood . We have a couple of wood beds on trucks . Use 4x4's or 4x6's for main frame & cross members then go tongue & groove for the bed . You can paint or stain it ,build removable side boards ,ect . Park it in the shed when not in use and they last a long time .

  4. #4Steve Frazier2014-02-24 19:29

    I've got an aluminum flatbed on my F-350, steel and wood are going to reduce your load capacity quite a bit. Try looking in salvage yards or checking with upfitters for a used one.

  5. #5Old Doug2014-02-24 21:03

    I have built several. I like a wood floor for a work rigs a steel floor for a show rigs.I try to find used or bargains on steel. The bed on my pickup is made of stuff that was scrap from a factory. The runers are 2 by 6 tubeing with 3 by 3 angle iron crossmembers. The out sides and front and back are 3" channel iron and it has a 2x6 tung and grove floor that is over 20 years old. The only thing that i didnt do was stake pockets. I mostly use a trailer and with a tool box their isnt alot of room to hull stuff.My goose neck ball is mounted to the frame and not to the bed. I am going to build a bed for a 86 chevy that i just got. It will have a hoist. I have some 4x4 tubeing or i may use some 6inch I beam for the runners. I have alot of 3x3 angle to use for crossmembers and i will use 3" by 1/2" flat steel on the sides with 6"channel for the front and back with the ends tapered down to match the 3" sides.It will have a wood floor also and stake pockets. I am going to put a hoist under for when i haul wood or brush.One thing that i will try to inprove is out side tie offs. The bed i use now has a ring every 2' and thats hasnt worked out good. That is my plan but i have alot of steel laying around and i may do something different.

  6. #6Gooseidi2014-03-04 21:20

    I agree that a from scratch bed will be a good amount of coin. I have found that using standard channel iron, angle and box tube make for a heavy bed. It will last a lifetime but will be so stout that you may only have room for 1500# or so of cargo weight. If I were to build one, it would definitely dump and I would like some kind of mini knuckleboom that could possible stow across the head board, have ramps that double as side boards and a winch atop the headache board to pull things up the ramps onto the bed. Good luck which ever route you choose.

  7. #7markshr1512014-03-05 21:50

    I respectfully disagree, I have built many beds,some with steel floors some with wood. Some with used steel and some with only a little bit of new. But I have never spent more then 200$ or 300$ on one.my last one was for a Ford Ranger that I get regular offers for it.

  8. #8Tiny2014-03-07 00:59

    I have built a couple of beds and trailers One steel deck and one wood deck . Trying to keep the weight down and still have something to work is tough . Most of mine was built from scrap . I bought some new metal but not much . If you count your own time as anything don't try building one , takes twice as long as you think . I liked the wood better because what ever you set on it seemed to stay put compared to the steel . The old square body Chevy in the pic has side skirts on and may look odd but I was in an accident with it . That year chevy had the fuel tanks on the outside of the frame . During the accident I had my youngest boy with me . A day or so later a neighbor and I were standing looking at it . He spoke up and said " Hey there's a dent in that tank , He almost lit the fuse on that bomb " ... Now you know why the ugly sides are on there , 3/8s plate by the way

  9. #9Tiny2014-03-07 08:51

    Also if you have time and can find a corner to store stuff it helps . Neighbor bought a box truck that had been crashed . he salvaged the top and sides .was left with the floor . I saw it and quizzed him about it . He told me that if I wanted he would drop it off . He was tired of mowing around it . My next bed I will cheat on the build If you have time to look you can keep the cost down . I absolutely Love the idea of the aluminum flatbed , light weight and the ones on the company trucks are tough as nails . The cost killed it for me

  10. #10Steve Frazier2014-03-11 08:59

    I belong to a Ford forum, a guy is parting out a flatbed truck. It's a dually, not sure that will help you but here's the thread: http://powerstrokenation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=323818

  11. #11barklee2014-03-11 15:43

    Man i love those old crew cab Chevys... you still got that? I bet if you dont its still running the roads someplace! Amazing how many of those are still around isnt it?

  12. #12Tiny2014-03-11 17:12

    That picture is a bit dated the youngest of kids waving in the picture is 6 '2" and 26 years old . The truck I sold quite a while back mainly because it was rusting . All 3 boys are still mad about selling it and I have been looking for another here lately .

  13. #13barklee2014-03-11 20:44

    Yeah, thats been a few beers ago...... I've seen them on ebay pretty regularly for cheap money.

  14. #14Greg2014-03-11 21:26

    I picked up a very nice utility body to replace the rusted out beat up pick up box on my 1999 Ford F350. Love it with all the compartments