Granted its been pretty hot the last few weeks here, but I am having heck of a time manually connecting my flat face couplers from 97 NH lx 565 to a 4 in 1 grapple bucket, the first time a bout two weeks ago everything hooked up ok, one guy in the cab with the machine off, he toggled the auxilary circuit a few times to relieve pressure and I connected the hoses with just a little effort....The other day after sitting in the heat I tried to connect the hoses, with the machine off and the auxiliary hydraulic circuit relieved (or so I think) and I could not get those couplers to connect....I was sweaty and mad. I was told the extra heat may have caused the fluid in the bucket lines and cylinders to expand and that I should bleed off a little fluid at the bucket hoses and I should be fine to connect, I agree with this temporary solution, but I don't want to be squirting fluid around every time I have to switch attachments during the summer...Also note I have not had this connection issue with my other attachments previously(hydraulic stone splitter, and snowplow) only the 4in1 bucket in the heat.... My question is , does anyone know of a product or fitting or valve that can be hooked up directly to the hydraulic lines that can allow for pressure relief and make it easier for mating the couplers...some sort of bleed off valve of sorts?? I have this pressure issue all the time on my mini ex when I want to hook up my tilt grading bucket, and I welded a ugly/special clamp to get enough force to attach the couplers each time, it works fine but it is still an extra step and sort of a pain. also the handy clamp won't fit in the space to attach the skid steer couplers....if anyone knows or has a thought on this let me know....if there is some thing out there i'd be a happy camper
I just hook the connectors together on the attachment itself. This will let the fluid always keep an equalized pressure and will let you easily hook up, and it keeps the ends of the connectors clean.
I have had this issue forever with every pic of equipment I have ever owned. Even my newest Bobcat with the newer style flat face will give me issues once in a while. I'v just always kept a wrench in every cab that I can use to loosen the fitting on the back of the coupler. I know this will cause a little oil mess but at least I can get the coupling together and use the equipment. I have always wondered why manufacturers don't solve the issue with a simple bleed off in the system. Maybe some day...
The problem is worse if you extend the cylinder tight and remove it under pressure, the expanding fluid has no where to go. When you store an attachment, keep the cylinder a few inches away from the end of it's stroke before disconnecting.
When you change an attachment with cold oil in the hoses then reattach later in the day the oil in the hoses is hotter and creates pressure making it impossible to change. As Rob says loosen the fitting.
yeah Ive done that in the past and it works, Ill also try the hose to hose connection trick for storage like 05sprcrw said, and leaving the cylinders in a bit like Delmer said...like rob said a factory installed or after market bleed off valve would be great.....maybe someday! thanks for the info and help, I ll let you know what I come happens
Same here. I have to release the pressure.
IME, the 4 in1 bucket is almost the worst for residual pressure....it's hard to pick it up without moving the cylinders a little. Worst case goes to the backhoe attachment. Ed
There is a simple handheld tool made and sold in germany that fits over the two connectors(fits varoius sizes) and allows you to leverage them together... from what I hear they work great but so far I haven't been able to find them for sale over here. And I can't for the life of me remember what it was called or the mfg. name.
I have had the same issue with my 4in1. You have a few options: 1. Add a T-fitting and a small needle valve. You can open the valve and release the pressure before you try to connect. 2. Try a set of Parker IF Series flat face couplers (See page 14). These are flat face couplers you can connect under pressure (up to 2900 psi residual). 3. I have 90 degree fittings going into the couplers on my 4in1. This allows me to use a lever against the 90 degree elbow to get the first fitting latched.
I switched all mine over to a stucci single point coupler. pressure , no pressure, hot or cold they lock right in. they are not cheap. I converted 5 yrs ago and have never had problem with them hooking up.
There is a male tip available that will couple under pressure. They are black in color. you hook this connection first and then you can connect the second coupler, I don't know the brand name; my Gehl dealer sold it to me; wasn't cheap but works good.
FarnerLund...what EXACT Stucci single point coupler did you use?? Ronsil...I would love to find a name for that coupling tool made in Germany that you mentioned!! 05sprcrw ...I've tried to connect the ends of my attachment hoses together after I remove the attachment, & I can NEVER seem to do. They are FFOR connectors. Maybe I just don't have the strength necessary any more...I am 72, but a long way from decrepit!!
@StumpyWally : well I went through my web history and couldn't find the german site... but.... I did a similar search to what I did back then and ran across a few new variations of their quick coupler clamp tool Found this ---> http://xboomcoupler.com/QCMate.asp looks like a smart use of an existing product The tool I had seen before was more streamlined and some lever and ratcheting parts, kinda like this but shorter arms for the connector brackets and minus the screw part and add a lever and cam/ratchet system to handle a wide range of lengths. BTW: none of these showed up in my search a few years back when I looked but I do remember one of the guys on HEF had one of the german coupler tools or had used it that's why I started looking in the first place Edit2: I see the irwin clamp is made primarily for 1/2 and 3/8 line sizes but I bet it wouldn't be too hard to rig up something similar for a particular size you might have and pop it on a clamp
I looked it up also, its from Holp industries in germany and its called a Quick on Tong ---www.holp.eu.... I made an ugly frankenstein version of this a few years ago to use on my mini ex before I knew they existed...I would love to get one, but I can't find a way to order them in the states and they seem to cost about 250-300$ after the exchange rate. any one else find one?
Stucco makes a ton of styles...which ones did you use? Thanks
Hay guy I know has a Faster P208 installed on his telehandler. I looked up the specs and it's only good for 18 gpm. https://www.fastercouplings.com/product-detail/p208g-50
I just ordered one of the xboom coupler clamps...should be in a week or so, I'll let you know how it works, I'm still looking into replacing my no name flat face couplers with the Stucchi brand or something that has a residual pressure connection allowance....especially for my mini ex
I'll be interested to hear how well this works. I have a set tof the Holp quick on tongs which are good, but no longer sold in UK and would like a second set. These look easy enough to make as I already have some clamps I seldom use. Graham
Like this...?? ...but I haven't found the maker or source yet.
I went to this set up. Mine is just a 2 port connector. You can get them in 1, 2, 4 or more hose connections. some have electrical connections in them too. https://www.stucchiusa.com/products/multi-coupling-plates/dp-series/ I also have one that is an adapter to go between so if I barrow or rent an attachment with regular ends I can hook it up. I will get some pick when I get neat my loader.
Found the Holp "Quick-On" coupling tongs here: https://holp.eu/index.php?index=1&lng=en&menuid=75#downloads They look way more rugged & have more leverage than the X-Boom-Irwin clamp design, but they are way more expensive, too...looks like over 200 Euros. I think the multi-couplers, like Farmer's Stucci, or similar designs from Faster, are really the way to go if you're coupling/uncoupling a lot, but I haven't tried to price them. Might change my mind then...
A wrench and a couple of rags is a lot simpler and cheaper.....I have found that when I disconnect my 4n1 bucket to run a different attachment, I try to find a shady spot to drop it off in and it helps immensely.
I agree, I still purchased the XBOOM clamp and I will let every one know how it works....I really like the idea behind the Stucchi or Faster connects but have would also want to check price etc... The Holp quick tong looks good but I can't find a place in the US to get it ....
You can order the Holp on-line from them here: https://shop.holp.eu/produkte/15/quick-on-zange If the page comes up in German, trigger the Google translator (easy if you're using Google Chrome as your browser). If you're not using Chrome, you should be IMO.
You can release the pressure on some machines from the seat, typically the older the easier it is. Shut the machine off, turn the switch to on but not start, release all brakes, put lap bar down, shut the door and so forth, whatever you have to do to utilize the aux. hyd when the machine is running. Actuate the auxillary hyd switch/foot pedal back and forth. Often this will equalize the pressure depending on the machine.
Most all the machines have a way to release the pressure, but I have found most of the issue being in the lines of the attachment. I need to check sometime as to what Link-belt uses. One company has a 238 crane. The hydraulic lines to the track drives have flat face couplers. It doesn't seem to matter what you do they simply plug together with little effort. 2 of them are 1 1/2 lines also.
If the pressure is released before the lines are unhooked there should be no pressure in the attachment.
Aside from temperature changes.
There is that but I don't see temp change offering near the pressure buildup. If the lines can be cleared of press. before they are unhooked, there is typically no issues.
Here in Mississippi I’ve had issues before. Black cylinders in the sun can really soak in some heat.
I have seen it firsthand quite a few times. Once we had a hoepac on a JD410G if you wanted to put it on later on in the day after it had sit in the sun for around 4-5 hours you would always have to grab a couple wrenches and there was obviously quite a bit of pressure in the lines when they were cracked... on a breaker we have for the case cx36b I think it depends on whether someone had pushed the button without the mol on something... as this seems to leave a lot of accumulated charge in the breaker itself( sometimes you can't get the QC's disconnected) was the same for the hoepac when we figured we'd outsmart it and couple the lines together when not on the machine... after it sits in the sun for half a day you couldn't get the QC's apart without grabbing the wrenches... or a hammer to wack the collar on the QC and then they'd blow apart pretty good and sometimes still have enough pressure that you'd still have to crack the lines to hook it up to the machine.
Hey guys.... just an update on the Xboom clamp....it works great, my guys like it and it makes those tricky flat face connections a breeze if there is any pressure or heat expansion. One handed operation is really nice. The shipping and customer service from the place that makes them was great. I just ordered a second one so I can have one in the Mini ex and in the skid steer. Well worth the price....no more oily mess, and four letter words while swapping buckets and attachments....