Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Flex Pin Removal Tool

nobull1 ยท 2007-01-21 12:32

The 23 series pins that retain the teeth(rubber flex) on my excavator can be a pain to remove. If it happens to be one on the inside it is near impossible to get at . There is a tool that is 90 degrees that fits between the teeth and makes it possible to hammer it out. The problem is on ebay it's worth about $50.00 . I wonder if anyone has one,used one, know where I can get one reasonable or has a better way.

Replies15
  1. #1Nac2007-01-21 15:06

    I bought one for my size machine 160 and broke it after 5 mins. The best way is a piece of steel and a sledge.

  2. #2xkvator2007-01-21 20:01

    I made a copy, years ago, out of a piece of steel... a piece of round cold-roll with an offset bent in it works just as well...

  3. #3minimax2007-01-21 21:46

    I bought one and they work great, don't buy one of the cheap ones. minimax

  4. #4nobull12007-01-22 00:17

    How do you know the cheap from the good ones? Where do you buy them. I was thinking about making one for installation, which shouldn't be too hard. The problem is, I believe the special tool is also used for installation. What a pain to get the pin in as well.

  5. #5tylermckee2007-01-22 03:08

    Ive always just used a piece of rebar or an old bolt and a 5lb sledge. always works

  6. #6DigDug2007-01-22 10:28

    I bought mine from Cat ten years ago and havent broke it yet. We use that and a steel chisel . Hasnt broken yet , and i have had a few ugly meetings with it.

  7. #7minimax2007-01-22 22:22

    The good ones are forged! not cast. minimax

  8. #8Nac2007-01-23 16:57

    I bought my at the dealer it was cast steel maybee that's why it was a POS

  9. #9dayexco2007-01-23 18:00

    $50 sounds cheap when you think of what an emergency room, stitches cost

  10. #10jmac2007-01-23 18:06

    Dayexco I think $50 buys you about a minute.

  11. #11stumpjumper832007-01-23 18:55

    I got one in for a customer several months ago. I believe it was around $70 and it is branded by case so the 6mo parts warranty would aply. They are available in sizes for both the 23 & 27 tooth. Pls pm me if you or anyone else is interested. Located in lancaster, pa

  12. #12nobull12007-01-23 23:01

    I was talking to the deere guys today to see what thay could get. After a half hour they found the number and were going to order the two sizes in. I will see what they look like and decide if they are any good or not. Nac Where did yours come from, John Deere?

  13. #13Nac2007-01-24 06:45

    I got my from a John Deere dealer (Jesco) but I do not think it is a John Deere part but an aftermarket company. I have in a pile for scrap someware and will dig it out and take a look.

  14. #14CM19952007-01-24 12:29

    I got mine from the Cat dealer. I didn't break but someone broke into our jobsite Conex and stole it.:Banghead A new one is about $80 in these parts.

  15. #15nobull12007-01-31 12:50

    The one I ordered from John Deere arrived and I decided to purchase. I ended up with the larger size(for next up from 23 size pin), because it just seemed to be a better fit. I guess I really won't know how good it works until I need it. I'm not going to take out and install pins for practise:eek2 :cussing ointhead