Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Interesting little digger

Countryboy ยท 2007-01-22 00:47

Can anybody think of a use for this. It looks like it would be hard on the truck and too small to do anything but yard work. The vehicles limits would also be reached pretty quick without outriggers once you start digging. Can-Dig Mini Excavators

Replies28
  1. #1Steve Frazier2007-01-22 01:38

    Con Edison used to have some trucks set up like that to dig in the street. It has its limits, but is faster than a shovel.

  2. #2Ford LT-90002007-01-22 02:26

    Those things pretty well have all the parts you would find in the Princess Auto catalog or in the hydraulics section of the store. I have seen people mount a backhoe attachement you use on a skid steer on the back of a truck.

  3. #3digger242j2007-01-22 05:12

    The local gas company used to have something similar too, but they were mounted on an F-600 Ford truck, The hoes were about 555 Ford hoe size. I never thought they'd be much use either, except for like Steve said...

  4. #4Truckie2007-01-22 08:09

    Great idea, but definitely has its limits. It wouldn't be to hard to equip the truck with out rigger or a set of stiff legs that you would just pull the pin on and let it hit the ground and then re pin in to place.

  5. #5Taylortractornu2007-02-21 20:10

    Candig is just a company that takes those homebuilt backhoe plans fromCadplans and makes a commercial unit. Mastercraft In Georgia makes a TruckBackho thats on a single axle IH truck. They are fairly handy. Ive run one a little and done a little clearing to get offroad. just clean as you go and drag the truck. They make that and a rough terrain lift. A ma here that was in the utility business has an old late 60's Ford 700 with looks like and old 50 Massey Ferguson hoe on the back still use it weekly. Like a city uses a rubbertired excavator. Just look at all the old truck mounted Warner swasey excavators and Hopto and gradalls . Lots of other names that were bought out to all truck mounted. But the little pick up digger thats a little much lol.

  6. #6stumpjumper832007-02-21 20:34

    quit being cheap and get a unimog / case m94b with the d100 hoe attachment

  7. #7544D102007-02-21 23:04

    That doesnt even look like a full size truck.. maybe an older dakota???

  8. #8biggixxerjim2007-02-22 19:07

    you got it...

  9. #9Countryboy2007-02-23 21:17

    It just seemed to me that the little hoe could easily overload the rear of the truck, with its weight and digging force combined, without an outrigger system.

  10. #10mtb3452007-04-11 15:04

    push the bucket down so that rear of the truck is in air then pin it

  11. #11equipment fan2007-04-11 18:25

    Great find,i never see this before

  12. #12PSDF3502007-04-11 23:38

    Heres one you might like. http://classicunimogs.com/photoc_53.html

  13. #13PSDF3502007-04-11 23:41

    Heres a mog skidder. http://classicunimogs.com/photo_127.html

  14. #14PSDF3502007-04-12 00:14

    One with a crane http://classicunimogs.com/photoc_46.html http://classicunimogs.com/photoc_44.html http://classicunimogs.com/photoc_45.html

  15. #15PSDF3502007-04-12 00:19

    Chipper http://classicunimogs.com/photo_119.html

  16. #16equipment fan2007-04-12 07:12

    thanks for the links psdf350.I like the picture with the chipper:cool2

  17. #17Countryboy2007-04-12 19:49

    Do you have a unimog PSDF350? That is on my list of things to get or at least drive, before the end of the road, so to speak. I have a set of unimog axles at the house that I bought at an auction. I paid $50 a piece for them. They were fully rebuilt and functional at auction and I tore them apart after I bought them to verify this. You wouldn't believe the number of people that have offered me money for them. One guy offered me $4000 for the pair. I thought he was joking so I said sure. He showed up the next day with cash and to his disappointment, he found that my offer had closed. It will take alot more than that for me to part with them. One day I will have the time to put them under my Chevy. :yup Great site by the way.

  18. #18PSDF3502007-04-12 20:13

    No I dont. But I will. Have been a huge fan of them since I first saw one. They are an amazing peice of 4x4 engerneering. There are just so many impliments and uses it boggles the mind. Then to top it off they go anywhere. Good deal on the axles. What are you going to do with them? Put them on your own 4x4? Gotta love an axle that comes from the factory fully locked or lockable. Also gotta love the ground clearance. If you ask me the U.S military would have been better off with them than the hummvee.

  19. #19Countryboy2007-04-12 20:40

    I have to agree with you there. :yup I'm planning on putting the axles under my 85 Chevy Silverado. They are the portal axles with the gear driven hubs. Worth way more than $4000 to me cause I will be able to run tractor tires and rims :cool2

  20. #20PSDF3502007-04-13 08:55

    Hick Just kiddin. That should be sweet.

  21. #21Countryboy2007-04-13 19:38

    HICK :nono .....Hicks live in the mountains in little shacks and have long beards and don't wear shoes :laugh .......totally different than a Redneck :Cowboy . Yall Yankees need to get that Sounthern terminology down. This is what I'm trying to accomplish.........:yup Exact same truck as mine except mine is midnight blue.

  22. #22equipment fan2007-04-13 21:10

    yep,muddy soil with a funny vehicle!!!This is cool.I would like to try a big backhoe loader in this type of soil

  23. #23jmac2007-04-13 22:15

    do I hear "pressure washer" ?

  24. #24PSDF3502007-04-13 22:19

    Your right I realized after I posted and got off. What I really ment to say was hayseed. So I would like to take this oppertunity to say nice pics hayseed.

  25. #25Countryboy2007-04-13 22:24

    Hmmm.....Hayseed.......its got a nice ring to it. :drinkup

  26. #26wrenchbender2007-04-13 22:30

    Countryboy, ya ever see Jerry Springer I think PSDF350 is jus playing tha square dance music fer ya.

  27. #27Countryboy2007-04-13 22:35

    Yeah, I know it. Now all we need is the bell to ring, "Ding Ding", and it will be ON. :jerry

  28. #28PSDF3502007-04-14 09:47

    Ding Ding.