Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Flipping a turbo to low mount on a Deere 4045HF485 – can it be done?

treemuncher ยท 2020-02-07 22:55

I'm working on a Deere 4045HF285. It was running poor when I purchased it and I've determined that the camshaft is worn enough to be causing the problem. It's way out of spec. This engine has a "low mount" turbo and minimal space to change much of anything. I found a used 4045HF485 4 valve engine but every one of those that I find all have high mount turbos. Has anyone ever flipped one of these over to a low mount and been successful? Can it be done?

Replies2
  1. #1MarshallPowerGen2020-02-08 12:39

    If you have the serials for the engines, be easy to look up if there's any difference in parts, or if it's as simple as flipping the manifold and rotating the turbo 180. Worst case would you be able to swap parts over from the old engine?

  2. #2Tones2020-02-08 15:48

    If I remember correctly the exhaust manifold are different but that was on a 4045HF285 a valve head. Part were listed on the operation manual