I have a TL140 skid steer which I frequently use for clean up, road and driveway maintenance and I frequently use the float feature when back dragging. My question, actually two, are 1. Is it possible to change the float switch to a toggle type switch which doesn't need to be held down continously and if so, is it a difficult job? Second question, how hard would it be to add a foot throttle to this machine? It would be nice to be able to throttle up and down more easily then with the hand throttle. Thanks in advance for your help!
There is not really a good place to put a toggle or rocker switch that is easy to activate while running the machine. The best way would be to wire a latching relay into the float electrical circuit and activate it with the switch that controls the float now. As far as the foot throttle Takeuchi does not offer a kit but you can get one from a Gehl dealer. The Gehl machine is made by Takeuchi and they do offer a field installed foot throttle kit. I have installed a couple of them. They are kind of a pain to install but do work fairly well with a little tweaking.
Hi Goose and thanks for the info, I will get in touch with a Gehl dealer tomorrow about the throttle. AS far as the float switch goes can you tell me what a latching relay is (I'm sure it's some thing simple) and, do you know where I can fins scematics or a service manual that would show the wiring and componenets of the joystick? Thanks again, the info is great and will be make this machine even beter then it is now! Karl
You need to find the power wire going to the float solenoid and add the latching relay into the circuit. Then when you hit the float button the float will stay engaged until you hit the switch again or shut off the machine. I will see if I can get you a # for the relay at work. I have also seen 3 regular Bosch relays wired together wired together to make a latching relay.
Great! I really appreciate the help! I ordered the foot throttle kit from Gehl today as well as a service manual. Any tips on the installation of this thing? I hate to be that annoying guy in class that always has one last question but I don't have much experince working on skid steers. I'm hoping the service manual will show the cylenoid for the float so I can add that relay.Thanks again, I have always gotten great tips from this site!
Potter & Brumfield single input 12V magnetic latching relay. Has an extra set of contacts you don't need, but will do the job. http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Tyco-Electronics/KUL-11D15S-12/?qs=8wHch9UpSva18C4OCehGtg==
Here is a lay out of the hydraulics. The float valve is item 9. You will have to find out which wire is the power wire to the solenoid and cut it 6 inches or so away from the solenoid. Then hook the solenoid wire to the load post on the relay , get a switched power wire to the relay and a ground and then the wire coming from the switch will go on the signal post on the relay.
Thanks a million guys! I have ordered all the parts and wil be installing them as soon as they get here! I appreciate all the wisdom available on this site that every on is willing to share!
hi i know this thread is really old but I am having a issues with my float not working on my tl140. I have been going through the unit and have found what I believe is the float valve and the positive wire is disconnected. I can not find any wire in the area to connect to it and was wondering if anyone knows where the wire would run. Also there is another valve wire cut and straight wired to the valve that is behind it, would I be able to use that wire to connect to it or does this have to come from a relay. and if so do i have to go through the stock relay system because I would also like the orignal poster set up a toggle switch for this instead of a switch i have to hold. thank you
don’t know the answer to your questions, but if you go through this parts manual it may help you. https://kattrak.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/PARTS-MANUAL-TL140-BT9Z009-2.pdf
Look thru the parts manual. The float valve is located under your left thigh, if you're sitting in the seat. The solenoid is held in by 2 small bolts and is around 2 inches in diameter.
that is right where the solenoid is located that I am looking at that is unplugged. Issue I am having is I cant figure out where the original plug is there is a wire cut that look similar but it does not seem to have power and if I energize the solenoid with a jumper wire it does nothing. (maybe bad) one wire is obviously the ground as it it grounded to one of the screws that holds the solenoid down. also from what I am reading in the diagram (i could be wrong not good with wiring diagrams) it appears that the switch activates 2 separate solenoids, is this correct. If so are both solenoids under the left thigh going to be activated by the switch one has been straight hard wire to a positive by previous owner. I also have a few other connectors tucked into the control valve housing that are not connected to anything. any help with them would be great as one just a appears to be constant positive and a negative that the previous owner tapped into for the aux heater and the other i cant even get out to check wires or test. ill have to try and get a picture a better picture of the solenoids. i thought i had a good one but i guess i didn't get it with the wires and solenoids. just shows wires
Hold on. I might have had a brain fart. The solenoid under your left thigh is the 2 speed solenoid. It should only be one. As for the float, I'm not sure. Do you have a service manual? Here's something i found in it. I can email you a copy.
This is the 2 speed solenoid
Lever lock solenoid
I do have the manuals. I also seen that area but I’m not quite understanding what it’s saying. Plus it still does not help me identify which solenoid is actually for the float. I have a picture of what’s disconnected now maybe someone could help me figure it where it is suppose to be connected. It has a wire that looks like it could go to it, however the other wire off the harness is running to a different solenoid and is bypass so unless they both were connected the the same positive coming out of the harness which I can’t tell since the original harness is gone. Anyone with a with a tl140 that could pop the cab open and take some pictures for me would be greatly appreciated as things have been hacked into way to much in this unit I can’t find original wiring or connectors
The bigger solenoid is the 2 speed. And the small one is the lever lock. I didn't see in the manual where the float solenoids are. It appears there may be two. And they are probably in a different location. Follow the lift arm hydraulic lines perhaps?
Ok I appreciate that. Thank you. That explains why it doesn’t seem to change speed when I hit the speed switch even though it’s lighting up. I’ll attempt trace the hydraulics hoses next time I get into it. I have a job this weekend with it so I’ll just have to do without it for now. thank you again for all your help.
Yeah. Your 2 speed solenoid is disconnected. I'd check with a multimeter if that other red wire has voltage when you press the button.