How are you guys handling short trips hauling a 200 size excavator? I have been running into some short 5-10 mile away jobs, but what do I charge to load up, chain down, and haul this distance? Almost need something like a flat rate for this?
Our hauler won't leave home base for less than $150.00 whether it's a 5 mile trip or 20.
This is the same for us, and we are happy to pay that.
I get 300 or it wont even leave the yard.
Ok, the guy that hauls mine part of the time charges me $140 for short trips. Do I charge the customer this 2x(there and back) or do I eat it as part of my hourly rate?
yep $150 up to a 20 mile radius sounds about right
charge the customer this there and back, yes:drinkup
Floats around here charge by the hour, so distance isn't really a factor. Rates go anwhere from 200-300$/hour.
I've never been charge a return fee, hauler always makes/ Chrages enough in your trip to cover his return expenses.
When I did underground we would bill out the machine rate for float time. For example anytime we moved it was default 1.5 hours of the machines rate no matter where it went. If it was a long haul (say 3 hours) then it would be bumped up to 3 hours + whatever the machine worked that day. Next to the 3 hours we would just write "float" on the bill. I think we just ate the cost of taking it off the site as we were usually taking it right to another place so they would pay for the float to there...
Man we move em all the time and our shop charges 150. per hour no matter the distance and if there are permits and pilot cars customer pays that as an addition in and out.
The guys i use charge $165 an hour , it is allways a 2 1/2 hour exersize and the same again when i'm finished . I know people hate paying float hire so when i'm quoting a job i tell them if the job lasts a week i'll pickup the float tab . It costs me $700 or $800 but i pickup another few grands worth of work . They start thinking about all the other jobs they can get done while the machine is on site , and then the neighbour strolls over ask's if you can come over to his place .:cool2
Standard practice here is that the customer pays the move in always, and on the move out, if the machine got less than 40 hrs, they pay it, if it worked more than 40, we take care of it. As far as the rate, it is hourly, port to port on the truck, which includes all the loading and unloading time. In effect, a 5 mile move and a 20 mile move are barely different in price.