Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

floppy bucket on the drag

Edward D. Dixon ยท 2024-11-12 16:31

I have a floppy bucket when I back drag. The cylinder retract quite a lot before it tightens up but once it does tighten up, it holds just fine. I can tighten it with the pedal and that works also but it takes a few seconds to pull the cylinder tight before back dragging. Is the problem in the cylinder or deeper into the hydraulic system? I'm confused as to the cause of the problem.

Replies10
  1. #1Simon C2024-11-12 23:21

    What machine and model and serial number might get a better response. Sure someone will respond. Simon C

  2. #2Edward D. Dixon2024-11-13 00:13

    It;s a skat track 1300 but I wouldnt think this to be specific to any particular skidsteer brand or model.

  3. #3Simon C2024-11-13 09:48

    Look at which hose forces the cylinder outwards. Force the cylinder rod outwards, then discoonect the other hose at cylinder to see how much oil leaks out of the open fitting on the cylinder when you reapply the same function to move cylinder rod outwards again. If oil comes out continuously through the fitting with switch engaged or footpedal, whatever actuates it, you will know if cylinder packing is junk. Might be a good idea to hook up a small hose on the open fitting to direct oil into a pail to prevent mess. If no oil leaks out there is a problem with linkage or in control valve there is a by-pass happening. I am leaning towards linkage problem, or packing leaking in cylinder. Simon C

  4. #4CM19952024-11-13 09:54

    Post some pics. Could be a worn quick tach.

  5. #5Edward D. Dixon2024-11-13 21:33

    Thanks for the input. That is thought provoking but I don't think it;s the problem. After the cylinder is actuated and it is forced open, it stays open indefinitely leading me to think that the seals are good or else it wouldn;t hold. It acts like there is an air pocket in the line although that seems unlikely. It would eventually resolve? But it doesn't.

  6. #6Edward D. Dixon2024-11-13 21:36

    No idea what I would take a picture of that would be helpful. I don;t know what a "quick tach" is. This machine is dumber than a hammer so nothing computer related or anything like that.

  7. #7Edward D. Dixon2024-11-13 21:43

    My first thought was something close to this in that I was thinking of bleeding the cyliners for air??.. IDK.It just acts like there is a void that is creating a serious backlash condition but it only manifests in the back drag. Nothing in the lift at all. perfect response in the lift mode.

  8. #8Simon C2024-11-13 21:47

    The quick attach wedges are either loose in the bore or jammed, or something like that. Clean all dirt and grease out and take apart and clean and I am sure what ever is wrong will become evident. If it is not a hydraulic problem it is a mechanical. If you think there is air in the line crack open a fitting at cylinder and cover with a rag and actuate the oil to the loose fitting and retighten. Not sure what else to recommend. Simon C

  9. #9CM19952024-11-14 08:57

    The quick tach is what the bucket, forks and other attachments hook to. They wear out over time and get sloppy.

  10. #10Edward D. Dixon2024-11-14 21:38

    ok. Figured it out. The short answer is air in the cylinder. The longer explanation is that recently I got some new hydro fluid to top off the reservoir but like the new diesel fuel, it looked like water and I wasn't certain if I would find it to my liking so I only put a few gallons in the tank. Not enough to be seen in the sight glass so I couldn't monitor it. The machine has a leak in the seal on the drive motor so it went down to the point where it was sucking air, creating a pocket in the cylinder which would compress when the bucket was dragged backwards. No idea why that was the only symptom that showed up besides the squeal which is what tipped me off but I added a couple more gallons and it completely resolved immediately. Thanks to everyone that responded and even if your suggestion was completely off the mark, I appreciate the brainstorming. Sometimes, that helps even if it's wildly wrong. In any event, I appreciate the time you took from your life to try to assist.