Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Flow rate of a torque converter?

Manny machineguy ยท 2021-06-12 23:29

Would anybody know what the GPM rating is of a Torque converter in an Allis-Chalmers 645 wheel loader? I'm in the process of changing the engine because the old one spun some of the crankshaft main bearings. I haven't found an identical engine (that still runs) so I'm looking at the possibility of one nearby that is very similar. Both of them are AC model 3500 but the replacement I'm looking at is out of a Gleaner L2 (combine harvester) The only issue is that it has no oil cooler for the torque converter. Can I put a remote oil cooler? If yes, what model?

Replies1
  1. #1Bigbert2021-06-13 06:20

    Hi Manny, how I see the situation with lots of question marks: Assuming the Allis Ch. 645 loader originally got an engine with approx. 110 kW, right? The gleaner L2 got similar power, right? So I'd expect the converter will absorb around 100 kW in stall condition (engine WOT, loader in gear @Standstill ). With coolers around 40% of the 100 kW and a pump flow rate of (guess) 80 l/m @ 2000 rpm the system should work. An oil/air cooler should work. For operation in cold conditions I'd recommend to fit a thermo bypass (fully open @ 65-70 degrees C) to reduce internal losses of the powershift t/m.