Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Fluids for 1987 Dresser TD8e

Groo ยท 2012-06-07 16:27

I have a manual for an 81, but I believe the tranny design was changed since then, and I am wondering if I am using the correct fluid for the tranny (and everything else) I have been using 10w30, but it seams to lose power after a few hours of work. The oil looks nice and clear, but I wonder if its too thin. should I be looking for straight 30w or maybe 15w40?

Replies1
  1. #1g_man2012-06-08 09:21

    I don't think it is to thin. That machine will run fine on straight 10 Wt oil. Mixed viscosity oils are not recomended but I dont know what problems they cause. I suspect a lot of people use them. I use straight 10 Wt in my TD7G. Look at the drive shaft when it is losing power. Is it the torque converter output or the transmission that is slipping ?