I have just purchased a Ford 555B well the first several times I guess I got lucky and the starter did not grind. It is now grinding and I looked down the inspection hole to find a bit of a worn ring gear. I have not tried using a pry bar to turn the engine and start it with better teeth yet (if it is possible). I am hoping I can get a little more life that way before I tackle this job. My question is would it be easier to split the backhoe, or could I leave most of the tractor together and pull the engine out and up just enough to pull the flywheel? Thanks Mark
I would pull the starter and bench test it to see if the bendix is going full stroke. a weak solenoid could lead to nicked up teeth. You will have to split the tractor to access the flywheel bolts and clear the input shaft. watch for a couple of shoulder bolts and mark their position when you disassemble it. they keep the ring gear centered on end of crank.
I agree with bill. I would maybe try a starter rebuild and see if I can get some life out of it. If it doesn't work out, there ain't no pulling the engine on a 555, it's split her in half to repair.
Hey Guys, I bought a new starter and while it was off I manually turned the flywheel and filed the nicks and gouges off the ring gear teeth. The teeth were about 1/8" gouged all the way around. Between the new starter and cleaning the teeth up it seems to have fixed the problem. Thanks again Mark