78A7177 "67 model D4, direct drive. Book calls for 30w/MIL-L-2104A, what currently available oil is correct for the clutch? Mine is low and not knowing what is in there I'd like to change it so need the rough fill amount too. Thanks EDIT--Just ran across this: MIL-L-2104-A was replaced by MIL-L-2104-B which was replaced by MIL-L-46152 which is still obsolete but might be available. Maybe a 46152 replacement is what I should be looking for?
Current oil would be SAE30 TDTO (TO-4) specification.
I had SAE 30 in my clutch on my D4D & I had trouble starting the engine it in the cold of winter, up in the North here. It wanted to travel ahead when I tried to start it. Put #10 in & it was much better. Perhaps where you are far enough South that it may not be a problem with heavier oil in it.
I have the TO-4 in my direct drive D4D also. It sets still on starting if I shut it off in nuetral and let it set with the clutch dis-engaged. After starting I engage the clutch. After a good warm up (minimum 20 minutes at +10 F it will shift into gear fine. If I want to idle down the trail to the next landing after a shorter 10 minute warm up, I need to shut the engine down, put it in gear and restart it. It will then creep a foot or so with the clutch dis-engaged before stopping.
SAE10W is the recommended TDTO (TO-4) for below 32deg. F. D4's with oil clutch have always been notorious for creep until they are warmed up.
Thanks for the replies. Haven't had a creep problem but I don't know what oil is in it or how much... the level is too low to register on the dip stick. I usually start the engine with the tranny in neutral, clutch engaged unless it's cold out. Then I disengage the clutch only long enough to get it running. Doesn't typically get that cold here but on the odd days it does, I find something else to do other than move dirt.