I did some searching before I posted this and found a few threads, but didn't really find as much info/opinions as I anticipated...maybe someone will post a link I didn't find and this thread can end now, lol. My question is what are the differences between gel & foam filled? Price/performance? I've ran, but never "owned" a machine with either...so my experience is limited. Thinking about doing it to a new machine we have coming...thanks.
Are you asking about tires?
Yes
As I understand it the "gel" is a puncture-proofing deal that floats around the inside of the tyre. The tyre is still inflated with air. If it gets punctured the gel seals the hole, or at least that's the theory. In cases of puncturing with a large object the gel will not seal the hole - don't ask me how I know this............. Foam filling the foam completely replaces the air and you effectively have a sponge inside the tyre so of course it will never puncture. Removing the tyres when they are worn out is difficult because the foam will be stuck to the wheel rim. Check out this thread. It might give you some other ideas.
Thanks, but I had already read/found that thread. While I like the tweel, its market is limited due to price & the fact its only offered in 1 size ("large frame" size skids). The machine I'm considering filling the tires on is a "medium frame" size skid...plus it already has brand new tires on it. Anyone have price ranges for filling with either gel or foam? And is there different density foam offered (softer/harder)??
I'll start off by saying that I don't have direct experience with these types of inflation systems. I have, however, seen both types in the field, and since I am not seeing anyone with direct experience chiming in, I will offer up what I have seen. About 15 years ago my tirer vendor showed me a tire that had a gel attached to the inside of the tire carcass. It was about 1" thick and was somehow bonded to the tire. In theory a sharp object could still puncture the tire, as it normaly would w/o gel, but the gel was so soft that it would still keep the tire sealed despite the puncture. Even if the offending object was removed. The drawbacks that I perceived would be that it would offer no protection for the sidewall, and if the object was large enough, the gel could not keep the hole sealed. It looked like it would work fine for nails and such, but probably not much bigger than that. From what I have seen foam filled tires are a one time deal. When the tire is gone, the foam goes with it. The foam is injected into the tire, while the tire is mounted to the rim, and it cures inside to form the support for the tire. Often one can see the foam inside the tire when the tire is run so far that it actually gets holes worn through the tire. Once the tire is done, the whole system must be cut from the rim. This offers much better protection from punctures, and even many cuts. The downside is that the ride suffers as I'm sure traction does a little too. I have no idea on cost for either system, nor do I know about different compounds of the foam. I would imagine that, do to the riggerous application, the foam would have to be fairly firm. If the foam and tire rub together too much (as may be the case with soft foam flexing inside the tire do to the heavy loading/unloading during the nomal operations of a skid steer) it will create a lot of heat. This could possibly cause the foam to fail prematurely. The Tweel does look pretty good initially but they are spendy. I will wait and see how they do in the long run. Since my A300 is still using the stock rubber, after 3,000 hours so far, I will stick to the pnuematics and keep watching out for nails and such.
Go with the foam, I had them on my large gehl and was very happy. Slightly harsher ride but never having flats is well worth it And you gain some weight at the bottom of the machine too which isn't a bad thing either
Thanks for your input...although not all the info I want, your posts (as always) are long winded, informative, and worth reading. LOL. thanks! Thanks for your opinion. I don't like the idea of a harsher ride or loss of traction....but if traction is that much of an issue, I'll use our CTL. The machine will work on a lot of hard surfaces or gravel, demo work, & lift and carry jobs. Dirt work (grading jobs) on occasion, but likely just in assistance to the CTL.
Foam filled makes me cringe on a high speed skid steer. But if you need them, then you don't have a choice. As for the machine having new tires, we just take the new tires and put them on the trade in, your situation may be different. Texas Refinery Corp makes a tire sealant that you just leave in the tire, then scoop it out and put it in the new tire. Its pink, it seals small punctures and such.
That is something I was wondering about...what are your experiences running foam filled tires on a 2speed skid? And the more I read, the more I lean towards the gel filled option or a product as you mentioned. Thank you, I will do some searching on that product.
Personally have never owned one, the time I spent just moving them around when I did tires was enough for me to not like the ride quality. Also got everyone's opinions as well on them, there were very few return customers for foam filled SSL tires, if they were, they were the guys paying the bills not the ones running them. Most of the Foam filling we did was on forklift tires and skytracs/lulls. The skytracs are slow and get punctures all the time. We did some baler pickup head tires and mower tires as well.
Is there a Cat Flexport tyre available in the size you need ..? Try this link. http://www.pon-cat.com/PageFiles/36319/Waste uitvoering banden FULL LINE 2011.pdf
I don't think so...Bobcat(brand of machine I'm dealing with) offers a similar tire/rim setup...but I cant find it with the offset that the rims on the machine have? Standard rims and tires put the machine @ a 66in overall width w/o bucket(this I can find)...But I got it with the offset rims that put the machine width @ 60in. Not sure if it would matter, but the machine I'm dealing with is a Bobcat S590.