Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Foam filled tires

Chuck ยท 2009-07-13 08:09

I've got a skid steer with worn out "foam" filled tires. Actually, the stuff in mine looks more like a gel than a foam but at any rate its time for new tires. How do you guys cut the old one's off?

Replies13
  1. #1tonka2009-07-13 10:21

    sawzall to cut the tire off, a wizz wheel to cut the cords in the bead of the tire

  2. #2razvy2009-07-13 15:37

    tonka It's a big job ? I have the same problem.

  3. #3digger242j2009-07-13 16:10

    I can't help with the original question, but I recall being told that if the casings are good, they can be re-capped, while still mounted on the wheels. Maybe somebody can confirm that? (The only set I had any experience with was run until there were big chunks missing from tire and filling, so they were obviously not good candidates for recapping.)

  4. #4Chuck2009-07-13 16:21

    I've heard that too, if you have another set of tires to run while they're being recapped, or can live with out the machine. It doesn't matter on mine, they are way beyond saving.

  5. #5razvy2009-07-13 16:50

    Personally I prefer new tire over the recapped.

  6. #6Chuck2009-07-23 14:36

    I cut off one last night, took me an hour and 45 minutes but I think I can do the others a little faster now that I kinda know how to do it. The stuff came off the rim pretty clean for the most part, but there's still some stuck to it. I think wire wheel will take off any remaining stuff.

  7. #7Cretebaby2009-07-23 15:19

    I am being told we can do that. I am getting ready to send a set in to try. I hope it work well since we primarily run recaps anyway. I wonder if you can recap a recap?

  8. #8razvy2009-07-23 17:54

    1 hour and 45 minute per tire X4 = 7 hours of cutting, that's a full day off work don't counting the time you need to wire brush and prep the rims , it's not more cost and time efficient to buy new rims ? I saw them for $70 ea. , and end up whit new rims and no problems installing new tires over . I had install new tires over old rims , they war pretty bit up for a tractor, the lip was damage when I install new tires I end up whit a cut on my new tire just around the seal bead . So probably I am going the new rims route .

  9. #9Chuck2009-07-24 10:10

    Yeah, if they are a standard 8 lug machine you can find cheap rims pretty easy, or maybe even a used set, but the machine I'm working on is a case 1840 (just bought it used) and its got those b*****d 6 lug wheels. The local tire/wheel place said they'd be $125 each. Well, I did some searching yesterday and I finally found a place where I could get them delivered to me for $62.45 each if I bought 4, so I did that. Good thing too, cause I got to looking and I had a couple rims that the lug holes were all worn out and busted. As for the one I already cut apart, I guess I've got a wheel for a spare tire now.

  10. #10razvy2009-07-24 16:25

    That was the right choice ..

  11. #11Willis Bushogin2009-07-24 16:49

    rims Good choice, I had a 1840 and my guys run the lugs loose and cut the holes out, and the rim fell off the studs/nuts. I wasnt a happy camper. I bought news rims off eBay. This was about 4 years ago, but I think I paid $40 ea, they were new/after market. I might even have a spare and the old ones. I did learn real quick, to have sealant/stopleak (commerical grade fix a flat)installed. Its not easy to try to re seat a tire on a rim, in the field, it usually gets full of debris. I think thats what you have in yours. I did hear the foam was better, but never tried it. I would install new lug nuts and really check the studs, you can get this stuff from your local Napa or auto parts store. Keep an eye on the wheel bearings, while you have the tires off shake them and see if they have any movement, if they do replace them. Guess where mine failed, yep in mud, they are pretty easy to replace and you can get them at the local auto store, just get the number. I had a set of tracks on mine and it was tough on the bearings. If you feel like the drives are knocking/slipping when you turn, its probrably the chains, need adjusting, not a real bad job. Keep oil in the drives and watch out for water, its murder on the bearings and chains. Good machine, I replaced the water pump and wheel bearing and thats all for 2 rough years. I sold it and bought a Takeuchi track machine, had it four years now, great machine I might have got a little long winded, but hope this info helps someone:Banghead:Banghead

  12. #12RobVG2009-07-24 20:15

    Les Schwab does our tire work. I guess they don't do business east of Montana but others stores should be able to provide the service. We were spending $1600 / year on foam filled tires for our Thomas 2200. In talking with Schwab, I switched to a less aggressive tread that could be recapped- since the machine spent 3/4 of the time on asphalt anyway. For them to come out and put on a set of loaners and bring back the retreads when they were done was under $700. We haven't bought new tires in over two years.

  13. #13metalmeltr2009-08-01 23:34

    while where on the discussin of tires on skid loaders what is the adverage diamiter of the tires on larger skid loaders?