Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Foam filled tires…. re-capping

TFPace ยท 2012-03-12 19:46

Is it possible to re-cap foam filled tires? I am looking at a Sky-Trak machine that has foam filled tires and they are just about as slick as any tire I've looked at All four are very evenly worn. As everyone knows these tires are super expensive to replace and the casing on these tires is in above average shape. I have a TCM 10000 lb. lift that has Solideal tires that have re-capped. I am going to call the tire shop tomorrow and see what goes. Thanks all, Tom

Replies14
  1. #1CM19952012-03-12 20:23

    I don't know if it's possible but if it is let us know what they say. I have a Bobcat, Gradall and the front tires of my 420 that are foamed filled.

  2. #2TFPace2012-03-12 20:40

    CM, Will do. I would think it is possible, especially with a cold process like a Bandag cap. Hopefully will have some more folks chime in to this thread.

  3. #3digger242j2012-03-12 21:04

    FWIW, I asked just about the same question a while back. Discussion here.

  4. #4TFPace2012-03-12 22:22

    Search digger242j, It pays to search Thank you sir! Tom

  5. #5tireman2012-03-14 18:06

    As long as the casings aren't damaged,the tires can definitely be retreaded-foam filled or not.It's just a little harder on the cap shop because they have to be capped mounted and they are HEAVY.Don't let anyone tell you different.I've had them done for customers of mine in the past,on 17.5-25's and skid-steer tires(12-16.5) as well.

  6. #6TFPace2012-03-14 18:29

    Tireman, You made my day! Thanks a bunch, Tom

  7. #7tireman2012-03-14 22:14

    You're welcome.Glad I could help.:usa

  8. #8CM19952012-03-15 06:26

    Tireman thank you for the info.:thumbsup In your opinion, what is the wear rate on a skid steer tire (foamed filled) recap? Is it worth it dollar wise to recap? I know the initial investment of recapping vs new tires would be a lot less but if the recap has significantly higher wear rates, then it may not make sense in the long run.

  9. #9tireman2012-03-15 07:18

    Ultimately it depends on the application,but they will wear the same as a new tire.It is absolutely worth the investment to recap them.They definitely are not going to just scrub off,if that's what concerns you.Forget the horror stories people tell.A retreaded tire is like a reman. engine.Good core done properly is every bit as good as new,as far as hours of service.Same variables apply.

  10. #10TFPace2012-03-24 17:49

    Tireman, I just had a price to re-cap my tires. L2 was $400.00 and L3 was $450.00 This is the company that is going to do this re-cap http://www.rdhtire.com/ To foam filled a 15-19.5 is $432.00/ea Tireman, can you explain L2 versus L3? Thanks, Tom

  11. #11Nige2012-03-24 20:12

    L-2 & L-3 are what's known as TRA Codes. (TRA stands for Tire & Rim Association). They describe the ideal usage for any given type of tyre. A quick run down: - E - earthmover service. Usually used on dump trucks. Range from E-1 (ribbed) to E-4 (rock deep tread). G - grader service, for use on graders as the name suggests. Range from G-1 (ribbed) to G-4 (rock deep tread). L - loader/dozer, for use on wheel loaders and wheel dozers. Range from L-2 (Traction) to L-5 (rock extra deep tread). There are also classifications for tyres for compactors (C), mining & logging (ML), & log skidders (LS) but these are less common than the 3 above. So an L-2 tyre is classed as "traction" and an L-3 as "rock" . Generally the difference between the two will be a different tread pattern and a slightly deeper tread depth on the L-3 which probably explains the higher cost. Ask the recap company if the compound is the same between the 2 options and what the respective tread depth is for each one. Also ask for a photo showing the tread patterns, they should be different. More tread = longer life if all other factors are equal. Do the math and see which one looks best value for your planned usage.

  12. #12TFPace2012-03-25 05:43

    Nige, Thank you sir for the very thorough explanation. I think I go for the L-3.

  13. #13Nige2012-03-25 09:50

    thanks for the kind words. I think I would personally still ask the questions regarding compounds, tread depth, and especially regarding tread pattern. You may find that if you get in some muddy conditions an L-3 tread pattern that puts more rubber on the ground fills up in between the tread blocks with mud where an L-2 pattern would be "self-cleaning" to a certain extent and throw the mud out.

  14. #14tireman2012-03-25 16:12

    Nige is correct on all points.An L-2 tread is basically your common bias grader tire directional tread pattern.An L-3 is going to be non - directional(with the XR series Michelin as an exception) and should also be a more durable compound to resist cutting in rock.The L-2 tread design is specifically designed as self cleaning.The reason for the center out angle of the tread lugs is to move away loose material as the tire spins to expose solid ground to get a grip on,the same as an agricultural tractor tire.Ultimately it depends on the type of machine and the specific application as to which is the better choice.What is the machine and application in your case?