Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Fogging:

1693TA ยท 2022-02-08 07:35

I'm planning to purchase an enclosure for my 1845C Case and am wondering what, (if any) window fogging will be an issue? Never have seen one of these enclosed myself and have only seen photos with a single little box type heater between the operator's legs in the cabin. This would do nothing to put heat onto the door or enclosure panels. No insulation in these either so I'd think fogging would be an issue?

Replies32
  1. #1bad Tom2022-02-08 09:13

    I made enclosures on 1835C, a 420 and 440CT. I used the larger heaters and installed them at the back window. No problem with fogging, only problem is the snow hitting the door and fogging it up. I installed a fan from NAPA and point it at the door to warm it enough to keep it clean.

  2. #2Rob Gunn2022-02-08 09:15

    I made plexiglass panels for my old Bobcat a number of years ago. Front door, both sides and rear window. Yes I did have issues with frost and fogging. I solved the issue with a small fan that would circulate air onto the window. Also had a small 12Volt heater from e-bay that would help some. It never got hot in the cab but it was way better than a open cab with snow blowing at me.

  3. #31693TA2022-02-08 09:45

    Thanks guys, I ordered one of those inexpensive diesel fired heaters from ebay rated at 8KW. It has the four outlet ports and should mount on the rear shelf by measurements. These outlet ports and hoses should be able to "snake" their way through and above the headliner to dump into the compartment via grilles mounted into the headliner, but I don't know if I could get enough airflow for defogging the windows. The headliner is sagging and getting in overall poor condition so it could be replaced to allow "ducting" to be incorporated. I really don't want a fan or something inside the cabin if can get away from it. Should this not work I could incorporate a heater warmed by engine coolant, but don't currently have one small enough to fit.

  4. #4kenworth2022-02-08 11:14

    I have a SIMS cab kit on my 1845C with a Red Dot heater installed down in the foot well on the left side and a 6 inch dia. 12 volt fan on a magnetic base with a extended cord so that I can move it around and have it blow on the front door window or have it on the back shelf in the cab to just circulate the air. With this set up I have not had any fogging issues during the winter while moving snow. It helps if the machine is warmed up and there is heat in the cab before you start using it.

  5. #5phil3142022-02-08 11:24

    The heater in my 1845C was just a heater core. Used engine coolant to heat. Very easy to install in the back window and run 2 lines to the engine. Fogging was never a problem as the cabs aren't anywhere near 'sealed' enough to keep moisture in.

  6. #61693TA2022-02-08 12:15

    I may be overthinking this again which really isn't anything out of the ordinary for me. I pulled the insulator pad, (headliner) out this morning and it's not very rigid any longer. Almost wants to fold over on itself. The cardboard backer is moisture soaked and the bolts with fender washers that keep it attached to the roof are pulling through the face fabric. I may make one from MDO plywood and incorporate ducting and foam insulating it rather than put this one back up. It doesn't look too difficult to insulate the cab a bit down low but I don't know how much that would gain without doing the gray around the window openings also. No seals used anyplace and lots of air intrusion whatever was done.

  7. #7DDoug2022-02-08 12:16

    Wouldn't you want the heat to enter the cab as low as possible ? Coming in under the roof, will your feet ever get warm ?

  8. #81693TA2022-02-08 12:25

    Down low would be preferable but airflow would force heat low if the static pressure can be overcome. I am thinking of two of the four discharge pipes running in the roof, and two beside the seat and dumping near the floor. Again, it depends upon static pressure as I have no idea what these heaters can push. This would all be tested prior to incorporating into the machine.

  9. #9Vetech632022-02-08 14:12

    I need better glasses. I thought that said frogging.

  10. #101693TA2022-02-08 14:31

    Frogging would be so much easier. Small boat, paddle, and really bright flashlight and we'd be set.....

  11. #114x4ford2022-02-08 15:11

    If that heater is comparable to the ones we use in the trucks they move a good amount of air on their own

  12. #121693TA2022-02-08 18:28

    Yes, the Webasto and Eispacher, (sp) do move a lot of air, and work very well. This one being chinese, the jury will be out till proven, but the theory is the same. I'll build up a jig, (breadboarding) to prove the airflow before ever mounting anything to the equipment. The heater kit is all inclusive including fuel pump and tank but I will need to purchase additional piping for the length of the discharge air runs.

  13. #131693TA2022-02-08 23:14

    The heater showed up today. I could do with a color different than orange and black, but the fit and finish are not bad. However, it is incorrect as is 3KW, not the 8KW unit ordered. The vendor has already responded to my inquiry for resolution so we'll see how this one shakes out.

  14. #141693TA2022-02-10 05:12

    Well, myself and the vendor have been back and forth on this. They respond saying the heater is mislabled and is actually 8KW which at first glance one wants to say, "Yeah, Right". However, looking at the box it was shipped in, the labeling clearly states 12VDC8KW and then a part number. The packaging was not broken or compromised in any way. By measuring the housing and comparing, they may just be correct. They have offered a little better than 1/2 the cost in refund for the inconvenience and I keep it. They would not have to pay for return shipment that way at just over 22#. Should it not work in my application, I have a cattle farmer friend with a diesel powered side by side UTV. He has an enclosure but no heater and I'm certain he could make use of it.

  15. #15Mobiltech2022-02-10 08:53

    I have used both the espar and the Chinese version of these heaters. I have better luck with the Chinese ones at 1/4 the price. I have an 8 kw one without the enclosure in a 400 sq ft cabin and it heats it pretty good. The 8 kw has about a 3 inch outlet on the heater itself.

  16. #161693TA2022-02-10 09:02

    This one has the four 1-5/8" or so holes in the discharge path. I wanted those for routing. If it works out as planned I'll do some adaption into my old Mack also which never has had a good heating system despite two separate heating coils. Got tired of my feet being cold so installed a heater box under the dash but to the left of the steering column and it works fairly well. Hopefully one of these chinese copies can be mounted and have enough output to be comfortable at least.

  17. #17DDoug2022-02-10 09:51

    Got a linky to these heaters ?

  18. #181693TA2022-02-10 09:57

    Go to ebay and search for "Planar" heater, or "Air Heater" and a plethora of them come up. Plenty of vendors and pricing all over the board. I'm getting anxious to try this one out knowing they want to work with me on it.

  19. #19DDoug2022-02-10 11:07

    I'd much rather go with the one you bought, vendor seems much more honest.

  20. #201693TA2022-02-10 11:11

    Let me wait until I actually see the refund post to my account before we heap praise upon them. They do seem honest but are surely overseas using a USA telephone connection. The telephone number they gave me to call is based in Texas, the heater ordered from New Jersey, and shipped from California. Lot's of variables here and I really want to break into this one to ascertain what it is. The fueling rate for a 3KW rated heater will be much less than an 8KW rating and will be easy enough to figure out.

  21. #21Mobiltech2022-02-10 11:43

    This is what you will find inside the unit you have. You will be very surprised how they put out. I heat my work trailer 7x18 with a 5 kw and it keeps it at 60 degrees inside while its -10 outside. I have 1 inch rigid foam in the walls. It has worked flawlessly for 3 years. Just plumb it into your fuel tank.

  22. #22Mobiltech2022-02-10 11:44

    I get mine off amazon for $180 canadian.

  23. #231693TA2022-02-10 11:52

    Yes, this one looks the same including the "stylish" color combination and brand..... I had cut open the box and it was the decal affixed to the side that immediately caught my eye: Everything else in the package matches your posting. Does yours cycle with temperature, or is the rotary switch a blower motor speed regulator? The heaters are usually less than $125.00 USD from what I've seen. I think I paid $112.00 with free shipping but again the jury is still out if it's correct or not.

  24. #24Mobiltech2022-02-10 13:44

    I have the digital display that you set by temp or fuel flow. It also comes with a remote on off. 125 us is about 160 can.

  25. #251693TA2022-02-11 06:06

    Thank you. I opted for rotary knob type as was thinking it only adjusted blower speed but I'm not certain. The seller appears to be honest as in my email this morning was a refund offer through ebay for the agreed upon amount. This should process within the next couple of days as I accepted the offer and this can be put to bed. I was looking at the box this shipped in and it pretty clearly lists the contents as an 8KW heater so either the incorrect heater was placed into the carton, the carton was labeled incorrectly, or the heater itself was incorrectly labeled, (as suggested). Until I can prove otherwise my assumption is the unit is probably a 3KW heater incorrectly shipped, however it shakes out. I find it hard to fault the vendor whom has tried diligently to come to amicable solution. I feel they deserve positive feedback for the transaction. Here is a photo of the label on the box which was not compromised in any way during shipment: At 4:46a.m. this morning I received a refund in the amount agreed to. All good now. Here is a link to the heater I purchased from the same vendor: https://www.ebay.com/itm/1641815904...78&brand=VEVOR&_trksid=p2060778.c100290.m3507 Once I get this installed and checked out I will probably order another for a farm tractor I'd like to enclose.

  26. #261693TA2022-02-13 08:26

    Yesterday granddaughter and I decided to test out this heater to see if labeled incorrectly, or shipping box labeled incorrectly. Long and short is the box is incorrect and the heater is in fact 3KW. I set everything up on the bench and using a stabilized 12VDC power source, and a measured one gallon of #2 diesel fuel, the heater ran just under 13 hours before starving out. An 8KW heater would have starved out right at five hours by calculations. There are some assumptions taken as nothing is scientifically analyzed such as BTU content in the actual fuel sample, fuel delivery rate, actual airflow cfm, static pressure, etc. Regardless I have relayed this information to the vendor and their response is they are going to look into the shipping boxes before sending them out to ensure correct labeling on the containers. They now realize there is a problem and are working to correct it I understand. Could be "blowing sunshine" up my ass too, but I don't think they'd want to **** off too many people on ebay garnering negative feedback. They did me right with this sale so I have no complaints. I'll leave them positive feedback as the heater does what it is supposed to do and they only shipped a prepackaged and sealed container. They did offer it take it back without issue but would rather a negotiated settlement which is fine for me for prototyping. Given the heat this thing bucks out, I'd wager it would heat a skid steer cab pretty easily.

  27. #271693TA2022-02-14 18:36

    Spoke with the vendor again today. It appears the 8KW heaters are all boxed incorrectly and actually contain 3KW heaters as verified by me. For my efforts I am going to receive a "gifted" 8KW heater from them at no charge. Been playing with this thing on the bench and it really works well. After initial air purging and initial firing, it really smokes quite a bit from the exhaust but clears up. If it hasn't been ran out of fuel and shut down normally, this does not apply and no smoke at all. From initial push of the "ON" button, the system starts running with fan only at low speed. At 1:25.37 seconds the fan speeds up and fuel starts being administered as you can hear the fuel pump start, the exhaust note change, and the exhaust pipe begins warming. When the air duct discharge temperature exceeds 80 degrees Fahrenheit, the fan speeds to high and the fuel burn rate increases as noted by the fuel pump action. Discharge temperature continues to increase till stabilizing at 150 degrees Fahrenheit and the fuel pump starts modulating at different rates to keep heat output constant. This is shown here: The rotary dial appears to be an adjustable thermostat as even with the setting at it's lowest position, the blower fan runs at maximum and does not slow till the unmounted control is placed in the discharge air stream of the heater, it then begins to slow it's heat output by reducing blower speed. The burner appears to operate independent of the blower motor but that is not proven yet. Regardless, it appears you set the rotary control to the lighted indication you wish to achieve and the modulation of the flame and blower speed attempt to match the settings. I've not seen the unit shut itself off completely as it always runs slow but I'm not heating my garage and it's about 30 degrees today. More to follow. Meanwhile, we're gonna have tacos tonight and my wife just loves refried beans. They look so delicious don'tcha think?????:

  28. #28Willie B2022-02-14 20:14

    I know little of your enclosure. Cabs are a serious problem. Defrost doesn't ever seem to blow where it is needed. Last storm, I was plowing, couldn't see a thing. Opened a couple windows, it cleared the glass up nicely. As for refried beans..........no.

  29. #291693TA2022-02-15 05:18

    Went out a bit ago to fire up this heater cold. The garage is 21 degrees Fahrenheit and the heater hasn't been ran in several hours now. I depressed the "On" button and the blower motor started near instantly. Just about a minute and an half later the fuel pump starts pumping and the scenario as relayed yesterday repeats. At just about three minutes this is pushing out pretty hot air and running at high speed. I allowed this to run about five minutes and depressed the "Off" button. The fuel pump shut off immediately and the blower motor started to wind down to a slower speed. Once the heat was removed from the burner chamber, the fan shut off. This is the same scenario repeated yesterday afternoon so take from it what you will. In my email this morning is a tracking number from the same vendor for a package coming my way. Looks as if they are good for their word as I've not ordered anything additional.

  30. #301693TA2022-02-15 05:31

    The defrost problem is the core reason I'm chasing ducted air routed to the correct/required place. Much easier to incorporate a simple "box heater" in the cab and not worry about optimization of airflow and pathways. I hear beans are good for the heart, taste so good they make you fart..... So my granddaughter tells me.

  31. #311693TA2022-02-15 06:05

    Now with this thing proven to functionality I'm going to try different mounting scenarios as I see in the instruction manual the heater can be mounted with up to a 30 degree discharge air decline, and can be either horizontal, or vertically mounted such as a floor, or sidewall mounting. It is mentioned to not have the igniter on the bottom of the burner chamber and an underslung mounting would probably work also. I believe in the 1845C there would be enough room to mount this unit behind the seat on the cab panel next to the operators manual holder, or inside the engine compartment. Exhaust routing will require thought as that pipe does get very hot. I'm thinking some of that lost heat should be reclaimed also. Seemingly several options to evaluate yet before I can come to final conclusions.

  32. #32DDoug2022-02-15 07:58

    Let's hope with that enclosed cab, your new heater is "EE rated"......