Wow, just when you thought you had seen it all, up pops a new item of interest. A Cat D6N LGP Folding Dozer Blade. :usa I suppose for getting inside the wide load permit. I did not get, to measure the outside width of the tracks, that day.
My guess would be you fold the ends forward to make it a U blade? I don't see any way to pin it forwad so???
Looks like a blade on Kobelco excavator.
IF I'm looking at that right I don't think you can pin it forward. It looks to me like the hinge will only let it swing back. Although folding forward to form a U or Semi-U blade would be handy
It won't go back because of the plates welded in back of those pivoting arms. and you can see the extension bumps into a plate vertical on the main blade. Looks like that bracket on the back removes to hold the blade when folded in.
It seems to me that the blade wing folds back. What leads me to this conclusions is the tractor is a 6 lgp meaning its darn wide as is plus the blade tips sticking out, good by light standards when its on the float. In the conexpo thread theres a D6K with the same deal, I will have to investigate shortly after i post this quick reply.
Folding Blade ? Only the left side folds forward . Even the joint is at a skew, to prevent it from going toward the rear. The other side is solid.
Correct me if im wrong here, but are there not two plates welded on the back side of that blade where if it pivoted forward those plates would stop that? Or am i confusing the pivot points, and the wing pivots from more towards the center of the blade?
The wing pivots from the inside end of those arms. what your'e looking at are the pins that hold it in place when working.
Foldable Blade Designed to conform to the 3 m (9.8 ft) width transportation limit without blade removal. Allows a section on the left end of the blade to fold forward into transportation position. Im an idiot some times, but regardless of that this information has come to my attention. Good idea if you ask me.
Looks like they made some other mods to the blade to, like beside the angle cylinders, there's some extra metal beside the mounting eyes.
Sure looks like a nice option, for the right job. Maybe holding dirt a bit better on some slopes? I guess if someone dreams it you can build it. Does this show up anywhere as an option direct from the factory or is this a custum built job? Trbo
Road clearance I've seen a couple of those here and there on my travels and the only time I've ever saw the blades on those folded was for transport. They pivot to the front and I'm not sure if they pin there or not. They are made that way so the truck driver has a little more room and is less likely to take out a motorist. The shoulder side is ignored because they figured it would be hanging off the side of the road. But if they ever make something like this to push dirt... I hope it's hydraulic!
The blade dosent look that much wider than the tracks,:beatsme it looks when it's folded the tracks stick out anyway?? :beatsme
I can see the advantages..but I'm glad I'm not going to be the one footing the repair bill when it gets a few hours on it.
its been a few years but the last time i hauled a 6 with the six way blade, if i remember right we just angled it all the way to the shoulder side, so the traffic side didnt stick out hardly at all anyways.
blade extensions I haven't got pictures of them, we had something very similar on the dozers used on railway recon. It was so they fitted within the width of the rail trucks during transport, but were opened up for pushing the track ballast once unloaded.
If you want the hi-tech version, that not only gets small for transport, but goes from straight to a U blade look at rockit blade . I think they would be really nice on a finish dozer. They are the same guys that made the blizzard snowplows til they sold that to DD.
How it folds ? Finally got to see how it folds for transport .
That little bit is the difference between taking out a car and getting in the ditch. Nice pics Northart!
Stay Doh!:Banghead knew it was a stay but couldn't work out where it went :drinkup Thanks Northart :drinkup
Some time ago I found almost an identical thread!
I'm a bit suprised that slipped through the net or should I say this one slipped through as the other is over a year older :cool2
yucky repair bill in sight and no matter what dealer will claim abuse
As this is in AK, perhaps the blade is to fit inside a transport aircraft?? G
I don't know, it seems that if that where the case then both sides would fold so the tracks are the widest.:beatsme
i see a lot of room for that thing to start wearin out...