Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Folsom Prison Blues

ddigger ยท 2009-05-19 23:59

Heres a couple of quick shots of the clearing job I`m doing now, its for a new spillway coming out of Folsom Lake. The land on the other side of the ridge is prison property. I cant share pics of the dam which is to my right, per directions from homeland security. I`m gonna try to get a picture of a cut stake I worked passed today which read C/108ft@1/4to1. kewitt is moving the dirt. There was 20, 657 scrapers running today, and the 757s are on the way from S. Dakota now.

Replies9
  1. #1CascadeScaper2009-05-20 14:27

    1/4:1?! Is that even legal? Maybe state laws vary, but up here 3/4:1 is as steep as you can go even in class A soils.

  2. #2Case 580e2009-05-20 14:33

    what machine are you running a cat 230

  3. #3ddigger2009-05-20 23:01

    CS, I cant speak to the legality of the slope as I`m not involved in any phase of the job beyond the clearing and grubbing, although I do know it will be a concrete lined spillway. Once the over burden is removed it is all drill and shoot. Case 580e, I own a cat 330L.

  4. #4alco2009-05-21 00:31

    Sorry, I'm at a bit of a loss. You say the 757s are on their way from S Dakota....what's a 757? Brian

  5. #5ddigger2009-05-21 00:54

    No worries. They are huge scrapers, that haul 20 tons more than the 657s.

  6. #6alco2009-05-21 01:21

    Unfortunately, Cat has never made a 757. If it were in the Cat scraper line, the series would start with a 6 like all other Cat scrapers. They did make a 660 and a 666 many years ago, but they weren't capable of 20 tons more than a 657 as far as I know. Brian

  7. #7ddigger2009-05-21 08:18

    I will try to get you a picture when they arrive. Just passing along what was announced at Mondays safty meeting by the job super.

  8. #8ben46a2009-05-21 09:21

    Brian, I bet its a 657 coal bowl... K2 took a few of them up to Kearl and the driver called them 757's, even though they clearly said 657G on the side.... may be a kiewit thing.

  9. #9hoeman6002009-05-21 11:22

    i've worked rite down the road from the dam . Kiewitt has ben working their for a while on the new road and bridge. thats gonna be a big job . my old neighbor used to work for a firm subed to homeland sec . and said their was a big job comming up. guess they finaly gonna start. if ya caint get picts I know someone who can. my sister still lives in lincolin ill send her up to get the picts cuz im in PA know. damm I miss livin in Cali.