Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

For all the Loggers to see. Think you’ve had a big jag on before?

LowBoy ยท 2007-07-22 09:41

Here's a nice old, nostalgic picture taken of a workhorse up in the northern woods of Maine back in the day. NJoy.:thumbsup

Replies31
  1. #1Noose2007-07-22 11:01

    There's a whole lot of tires there! Was it pretty flat there, 130,000 kg+(going by axles) would be a good pull. Our winter wieghts would allow us 75,000kg and in the mountains it keeps ya thinkin'! Cool pic

  2. #2Steve Frazier2007-07-22 11:14

    There aren't too many flat areas in Maine! That's quite a load! Up in the Adirondacks there's a place called the Blue Mountain Museum that displays the past of that area. Logging was big up there, you should see some of the pics of loads they moved there!!

  3. #3bubbacomeon2007-07-22 13:13

    hey tom its bubba "the good one" lol just wana thank ya for hookin me up ln here, great site , look forward to chattin with other true pro haulers here im not so savvy on here but know basics, well thanks again dude

  4. #4Ford LT-90002007-07-22 14:39

    Thats a pretty good load of pencil sticks :roll New forestry regulations are making loggers use highway trucks in the bush so no more HDX Hayes Logging trucks hauling large loads they usually gross 200,000lbs. When trucks are highway hauling the trucks gross 126,000lbs but highway hauling is very limited around my area now. Logging is done in places where you need to get to it by boat or plane. Here is a old HDX with a load

  5. #5atgreene2007-07-22 15:31

    He probably hauled on the AI Road or The Golden Road. The Golden Road runs from Millinocket Maine to Zacharie Qubec Canada, about 100 miles. The first 20 miles or so is paved, the rest is dirt. It's all private timber co owned and off from it are hundreds of miles of dirt road. No ATV's allowed and when you see a truck coming you have to get out of the way. They run 60+ and they own the road. The trucks are amazing, full tree length and full width, no restrictions on size, length or height. Most of the bridges were still wood deck last time I was up there in '03? When I've driven West to the Canadian border to look at Maple operations, we routinely drive 60-70 mph, you just have to watch for dust clouds of the trucks coming at you. Here's a few links, not much on the internet about it. Next time I go up I'll get some photos. http://www.katahdingateway.com/train/ http://www.eastcoastrover.com/Trains2000.html

  6. #6LowBoy2007-07-22 15:46

    Hey Bubba, welcome aboard, dude. Yeah, there's a lot of good stuff to be found on here, and don't worry about being "savvy"...that's not a requirement. Don't be afraid to share your past rigging and hauling stories with us here...everybody is interested in hearing about some of that massive stuff you've moved in your career. Try and get some pictures of the jobs if you can on here too.:thumbsup

  7. #7LowBoy2007-07-22 15:48

    That's exactly where this truck ran every day, atgreene. The Golden Road.:usa

  8. #8LowBoy2007-07-22 15:54

    Aaaahhhhhhh....That's just a load 'o rotted 'ol swamp wood, on a little whimpy, short cissy trailer, and the truck looks like it's ready to snap in half that you put on here, compared to that KW Brute I posted earlier...:wink2 What are they gonna get outa them punky old trunks?...6 or 8 2"X6"'s, and some bark mulch. You gotta do better than that if you're gonna keep up with the Big Dogs around here.

  9. #9DirectTech2007-07-22 20:37

    I have seen the one that Gerald Pelliter built when them and H.O. Bouchard were seeing going to build the biggest and it was a very large truck they nkow have turned it into a carrier for a Barko loader, they only used the truck once just to prove they could do it, amazing though

  10. #10atgreene2007-07-22 21:24

    Pelletier has one heck of an operation up there. I used to camp every year up around Lilly Bay and the last few years up around Canada Falls. We always spent a few days exploring that entire area from 20 mile gate all the way to the Canadian border. Every now and then I'd get lucky and catch a sugar maker at his sugar house and he'd let me take a peek. I don't get to go up there like we used to, a six year old will do that to ya.

  11. #11Countryboy2007-07-22 21:44

    Welcome to HEF bubbacomeon! :drinkup Dang Lowboy......I didn't know you had any friends. I thought you spent all your time hauling the big Tonka toys or choosing which smiley to use on the HEF.

  12. #12LowBoy2007-07-22 21:55

    I just got me a brandy new friend there, Countryboy, and wouldn't it dunk yer hat in the creek...his name's Buuuubba.:drinkup By the way, I learnt that smiley choosin' from you 'ol buddy! :notworthy Couldn't hit a bull in the butt with a snow shovel till I saw them fancy looking dcons, or icons, whatever they call 'em. Now I'm just about done typing my emoticons...I can almost just click onto one of them ones provided, and tell an entire story with 'em, can't I???

  13. #13Countryboy2007-07-22 22:07

    Yup, they's bout the best thing invented since round wheels.

  14. #14LowBoy2007-07-22 22:41

    I'm picking up what you laying down, brother.:cool2

  15. #15Ford LT-90002007-07-23 03:06

    The days are gone when you see large wood its all smaller 2nd 3rd growth trees. You guys in the states are lucky thou all the wood exported from Canada is twice the quality that we get which is bent and twisted makes a person wonder how you can build a house with the crap.

  16. #16RollOver Pete2007-07-23 03:51

    Check out the link below. Lotsa neat logging stuff there.... :cool2 http://www.vannattabros.com/truck39.html

  17. #17dumptrucker2007-07-23 05:18

    It's funny , or not funny, I used to truck logs from southern VT to canada. Then when I get home and watch the train go by the house it is loaded with lumber from canada. go figure.:beatsme

  18. #18Noose2007-07-23 10:29

    What kind of wood were you hauling back? Some great pics guys!

  19. #19dumptrucker2007-07-23 14:29

    We would haul mainly spruce and balsam and some pine to canada. Then I would sit at home and watch it go south on the train as finished products ie: 2x4's and 2x6's etc.

  20. #20Noose2007-07-23 17:30

    It's funny they can buy it cheaper there add the trucking, than harvesting it here! I guess that's what makes the world spin:dizzy :beatsme

  21. #21tuney4432007-07-23 18:08

    My scout troop is going up to the Allagash River where past members of this great canoe trip have told stories of loggers booking at 60 with enormous loads making huge dust clouds.We're leaving this Sat. for a week.Anyone here live close by?

  22. #22atgreene2007-07-23 18:26

    Take lots of plastic bags to keep stuff dry, ziplock everything, and lots of bug spray and sunscreen. My brother has done it twice and says it's a great trip. Last trip he blew-out his canoe on something in the river. May want to bring a patch kit as well. A word of warning, it's a loooooooooooong ride up to Allagash. From Lincoln North the tractor trailers travel at 100 mph, make sure your canoes are tied down good. My last trip to Fort Kent I fell in behind a potato truck and we did 100 miles in 59 minutes. I'm 340 miles from Allagash, it's 8 hours of driving once you get into Maine to get there, so plan accordingly with the kids, good luck!

  23. #23tuney4432007-07-23 23:06

    Thanks atgreene. Yeah,we're all ready--we own a 10 place trailer--all aluminum Grummans with new flat gray paint on the inside to stop the reflection to prevent burning.Besides 2 bungees holding down each canoe,we'll have 2 large straps going over all the canoes to stabilize it.My buddy is working on a combined storage/ bear box for 2 of the canoes.Did your brother use bear bags up in trees? Lots of different opinions lately up there on this with Yogi being literally smarter than the average bear type syndrome.

  24. #24atgreene2007-07-25 17:47

    The bears are real plentiful up there, but raspberries and blackberries are in season now, so they shouldn't be too much of a problem. If you see any sign, best to hoist the food. Also, very important, if you plan to travel on dirt roads, which you will, bring spare tires, jacks, tire plug kit and small 12 v compressor. The shale in the roads up there pokes tires full of holes. Load range E tires are usually ok, but lighter tires take a beating. In 2001 I was camped at Canada falls near Pittston Farm on the South Branch. A Ford Explorer came tearing into camp. Guy jumped out and asked if I had tire plugs. He had come in on the Golden Road and was trying to drive around the lake. At that point he had completely lost one tire, the other four were all leaking. He had been using a 12v pump to keep them inflated every 5 miles or so. 3 hours into this fiasco he saw us. He had used rawhide shoelaces from his shoes to poke into the holes to slow the leaks. I set-up and plugged 6 or 7 leaks, gave him my spare plug kit, a can of fix a flat and sent him on his way. Load range c tires don't do well, plan accordingly. Have fun, let us know how it was, take lots of pics.

  25. #25tuney4432007-07-25 21:23

    Thanks Atgreene.I think when I make my nightly pilgrimage about 2-3A:M to visit a tree,I'll just take all the food out and put it in my GF's son's tent.Revenge can be so sweet. No--I should, but I won't--don't want to see him get hurt--I'll think of something else.He's a little wiseass-no respect.

  26. #26thejdman042007-07-25 22:32

    thats a load, imagine w/new brake system itd take quite a bit of time to build up air in all those tanks

  27. #27tuney4432007-07-26 23:54

    Atgreene--no problem finding diesel up there?

  28. #28atgreene2007-07-27 05:54

    No, unless you plan to stay in the backwoods and expore the roads. I usually take a 50 gallon skid tank with me, but we stayed off pavement for a week driving and exploring. Fill-up in Fort Kent or Madawaska and you'll be ok.

  29. #29DirectTech2007-07-28 13:25

    I just got back from Mattagamon great trip, I was on the Golden Road this spring and they are not running any double trailers anymore but they are running the super wides, and when you meet a log truck on any logging road remember that they have the right of way no matter what. And the black bears are thick up that way, my stepfather and I sat on a bear bait just for some pics and when a LARGE!! 400 lbs. bear comes out from the woods 25 yards away eats and then come toward you and stops then stands on its hind legs to get a better look at you it is kind of scary .

  30. #30tuney4432007-08-05 17:00

    Just got back yesterday {Sat.} from Allagash.Great trip---we saw 5 moose,2 bulls with racks and a pup.Coolest one was when we were canoeing at about 6:00 AM thru the morning fog and then right in front of us was 1 of those bulls deep in the water vegging out.He took his time moving out of our way while we were snapping pics.Also about 6 bald eagles,loons,an otter,a beaver dam,bear scat but no bears.We started at Churchill Dam,just upriver from those mean old rapids.Thank God the ranger convinced us to portage our gear in his truck to downriver of the rapids.Only charged $20.00 for 19 person's gear.My partner and I capsized 4 times in 45 minutes--some communication problems{my left is his right},but mostly those damn BFR's{NOT BIG FRIENDLY ROCKS } are just under the water,same color almost as the water.Our other group capsized one canoe so bad that 4 of them spent 3 hours trying to get it out--never did.It had 2 huge gashes in her when myself and 3 other adults found it out of the water thanks to the rangers who retrieved it once they lowered the water level from the control gates on the dam. Those 2 scouts who lost that one had to triple up in some other canoes which made the going kind of slow.Those rangers are OK,but they are very strict in that they demand any sunken watercraft has to be retrieved no matter what.They told us of 2 sets of parents who lost their sons last year in one of the larger lakes up there.Their rowboat sank and now the parents have to hire some boat retriever to get it out.Only 1 flat tire ATGreene at the very end on our canoe trailer--nasty shale shard. Those roads up there truly belong to the loggers--unreal loads they're hauling.When we were going back with my partner's pickup to get the other 3 vehicles left behind at the start point,my buddy and I had to sit in the back of the pickup{regular cab}.The trip back was 2.5 hours on those gravel hauling roads,3 of those monsters passed us as we came to a full stop {law says you have to stop}.We had the biggest dust cloud I've ever seen--I turned completely white with about 1/8'' of dust on me.Those rigs were easily going 60-70. Pics to come.

  31. #31atgreene2007-08-05 19:32

    Glad you made it through ok. It is a different world up there, and I'd move there in a heartbeat. The Allagash is a protected waterway, and they don't mess around when they mean protected. That's why it's still wild, though, because of all the enforcement and patrols. Kind of nice to go somewhere that is left as nature intended, wouldn't want it for the whole state, but one area isn't bad.