Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

? For pumpguysc

JS300 ยท 2017-01-24 20:05

I have a 1996 Case dozer with a 5.9 cummins that has the small injection pump, I took a pic of the tag to post the #'s but not sure wich you will need. Dozer runs fine but every now and then after a really heavy push it will stumble like it's starving for fuel. This happens after the push when you let off the throttle. My question is this...I know the throttle shaft is leaking a little fuel and I'm wondering if this would cause the stumble. Also I found some seal kits online pretty cheap. Is something one should attempt? Or better left to a rebuilder. Dozer has almost 4,000 hrs.

Replies12
  1. #1thepumpguysc2017-01-24 22:28

    The kits online are actually more expensive than getting 1 from your local shop.. An OEM kit costs about 25.00 from a fuel shop but depending on your pump # you might have to buy 2 front seals also. I can help w/ a reseal if you post some #;s or contact me direct..

  2. #2Dickjr.2017-01-25 13:00

    I have seen an 850H Case do the same thing , it was a fuel screen at the inlet of the injector pump. Stopped completely up. A good cleaning and it was business as usual. Those dozers have more power than they have azz. If you have to remove the pump may consider sending it to TPG. Get him to do a once over on it.

  3. #3thepumpguysc2017-01-25 17:25

    There are 2 "small pumps" that go on that engine.. a Bosch VE & a CAV/Delphi DPA.. That's why I need the #'s

  4. #4JS3002017-01-25 19:11

    Maybe this will help.

  5. #5JS3002017-01-25 19:56

    Dickjr, I looked for a screen last time I changed fuel filters and didn't find one. I will look again next timI change filters.

  6. #6thepumpguysc2017-01-25 20:22

    That's a Bosch VE pump.. Just to give yourself an idea of your fuel quality.. remove the return banjo bolt from the top of the injection pump. It should say OUT on it, 17mm wrench/socket.. are the threads/bolt rusted? If so, you better get a jump on the fuel situation first.. drain, clean tank, change filters.. and pressure wash that poor thing.. lol Theres a small problem w/ an owner fixing a throttle leak.. IF the pumps never been off before, its going to have a soft brass throttle bushing in the housing.. and they wear a groove in them, so the bushing has to be changed along w/ a new oring on the throttle shaft.. it can be done but you better be good at turning wrenches and following directions.

  7. #7JS3002017-01-25 20:46

    Thanks so much, I will check that out. We have been burning brush and the soot sticks to everything. I was surprised at how nasty it was. The leak is pretty small. I hate leaks. It has two small fuel leaks and a hydraulic leak in same area right now. Hydraulic leak is an oring at the pump but have to drain the tank to fix it .

  8. #8kshansen2017-01-26 07:47

    Way off topic but, if that pump is that nasty I would be watching the coolant temp as it seems like the radiator must be about plugged solid. The whole machine looks to be a fire hazard, I know sometimes a machine has to get dirty to do the job but one really needs to clean them as soon as possible before it causes a major problem. At least clean the area around the pump before opening anything up !

  9. #9JS3002017-01-26 08:02

    I blow out the radiator and air filter everyday that we use it. Also check all the fluids and fuel it up. I dropped the pans about 200 hours ago and they were pretty clean as well. I agree the pic is overly dirty but the dozer is overall kept clean. We had a big clearing project that had to get done so been overlooking the fuel and hydraulic leak but it's time to fix them now. If you think that's dirty you should have seen the operator everyday. Really nice guy but old school and won't wear a mask or earplugs. I don't know how he did it in all the dust.

  10. #10thepumpguysc2017-01-26 09:58

    I sent you a msg.. Let me know if you get it.. I'm still trying figure this new crap out.. What the hell is "start a conversation"??? is it a PM?? or is it going to an email address?? Come on fellas!! what happened to PM or send an email, tab..!!!!!

  11. #11d9gdon2017-01-26 22:04

    THIS NEW FORMAT SUCKS!!

  12. #12JS3002017-01-27 07:17

    So far the old one seemed better. Maybe I'm getting just older but it seems "better" is always worse these days......at least at first.