Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

? for the John Deere guy’s

Mathew · 2011-04-29 21:45

My 850C has one track going faster than the other. Can I adjust this or do I have to call the dealer?

Replies8
  1. #1dblott2011-05-01 02:53

    Most likely a speed sensor. Could be just corrosion in one of the plug-in connectors. Are you showing any fault codes? Our company mechanics have gotten pretty good with these systems, but they have the code list and shop manuals.

  2. #2Mathew2011-05-01 06:47

    Yes your right it has been showing a fault code 439 which is a speed sensor. Where are they at on the machine? I hope it is a easy fix like that.

  3. #3dblott2011-05-01 11:20

    I just called the mechanic and got on the excavator and it was fixed before I saw what he did. Start looking at push connectors right 1/2 of tranny towards final. Most likely a 2 wire connector. Hopefully you can get to it without jacking up cab. It was couple of years ago. I can try to find out better info if you want it today, but no guaranties. Maybe another member can answer quicker.

  4. #4Mathew2011-05-01 13:38

    Thanks I'll see what I can find.

  5. #5dblott2011-05-02 21:26

    How did it go Matt? Got some info for you if you still need it. There are 2 speed sensors per side. One UNDER the travel motor, the other at the pumps, Our 850c’s have grapples so there is no way to get to the bottom of the motors due to all the hoses. It may be possible if you only have a winch (or really really long arms). But, there are 3 plate belly pans under the finals.One in the middle, and one for each side. They are a little bigger than a shoe box, and 1 bolt holds each of them up. The other end is a hook/hinge. Be careful when undoing the plate just in case the hinge has been damaged. Sometimes these plates are missing, increasing the likehood the sensor or wiring have been broken. Our mechanic said he has seen sticks poke up even with the plates on, and still break the wires. Another friend asked if there was any whining or leaking in the drive components. Did it just start, or has it been coming on gradually? How many hours on the dozer? Has it had any work done to it. Both he and our mechanic said that the pumps have to be timed together. We had one that had major work done to it by the dealer, and when we got it back, the pumps were out of time. My mechanic also said that it could be that the right pump is failing. Best of luck,

  6. #6zfrepair2011-05-02 22:14

    the service code 439 is for the speed sensor located in the injection pump should not have any the to do with the drives i would try calibrating the transmission if you have service manual it tells how to do it or i can email you the instructions

  7. #7dblott2011-05-08 11:11

    Hi Matt, Have a chance to get your 850 fixed yet?

  8. #8Mathew2011-05-12 22:26

    Still waiting for the dealer to come out. It is going on two weeks now. I can't believe their that busy.