Ok everyone, not sure if this is the right place for this but, I have a ford 3600 tractor that is equipped with power steering. When I bought the tractor I was told it dident have power steering and I ran it for the last year under that assumption... I rebuilt the whole front end and the steering was pulling hard to the right which was new after replacing the spindle bushings, thrust bearings, wheel bearings, and the spindles. I thought it was just a matter of ajustment on all the new parts to fix the pull, but as I was going through it I realized it has a power steering pump installed. It was completely dry and so I assume the pump is probably wrecked. But after I filled the pump back up I can see the oil sloshing around through the cap so I know it's moving oil, I don't know if it's actually making pressure. From the research I've done, the power steering is not working because either the pump is not making pressure or the control valve is bypassing and not sending pressure to the cylinders. Now with the front end jacked and the wheels off the ground, if I turn the wheel to full lock the cylinders will move but I can hold it and stop it from moving while pulling the wheel against the lock and stop the cylinder from moving. So either the pump is bypassing and not making pressure (it has been ran for at least 1year by me, probably 3-5 years before me, with no oil) or the control valve is bypassing and the pressure is just leaking back to tank. Before I start replacing parts, if anyone has a way to determine where the problem actually is I'd I would greatly appreciate it.
I will bet about anything that pump is toast. They don't have wear plates, all the wear just comes out of the aluminum housing. Do you have the pump with the remote reservoir, or is it the round pump with the reservoir built in? I think the round one. Those pumps have no tolerance for running low on oil, so I am sure it's done, but you can put a gauge on the output if you want to be sure. If I remember right, a 3400 should be either 1500 or 1800 psi. I am betting you will be closer to 15-18 psi.
Good idea with the gauge I'll check that first then probably get the the pump ordered, and it is the round one with the reservoir built in
Ok so input a gauge on the pump, the gauge I had only went to 400 psi but it pegged it out as soon as I started it. So... I'm thinking the problem must be in the control valve? Any thoughts
I think you need to get a higher pressure gauge. Can't see any kind of hyd. pump being much good if ran dry for a year or more.
Yeah, I can tell you that 500 psi won't steer that tractor. Gauges for pressure washers and welding oxygen are usually cheap, though never use it for oxygen after using it for oil. You need at least a 2000 psi guage, check it deadheading the pump, then tee it into the line if you get a good reading on deadhead. Many times I have seen the internal relief valve spring get weak on those pumps, and the tractor not steer at 800 psi. If it is the relief valve, you can shim it. Report back what you find and we can help with diagnosis.
Ok I got a better gauge, pressure was about 700 psi, more than I expected but not good. So pump is on the way but I still think I may have a problem with the control valve. Here's a link to a YouTube video explaining. Thanks everyone
What kind of fluid did you put in it. Those tractors require the same fluid that goes in the main hydraulic system for the power assist system. It's not true power steering I don't think. I have a 3910 and mine's not right either.
When I filled it up put utf in it but It had run dry for a long time
replaced the pump and they power steering is working again thanks guys! btw it made about 1800 psi with the new pump
Glad it's working, and thanks for the update.
Great! Much easier to steer now.