Howdy all, looking for some advice on a possible engine swap on a Bandit wood chipper powered by a Ford 423P Industrial. Compression in one cylinder is 40 psi vs. 130-140 in the other three. A little oil down the cylinder and retesting bumps it up to 140, so it looks like rings/piston/cylinder wear. The machine came with a late 70's 2.3 from a Pinto or Mustang II that it supposed to be in decent running condition. Has anyone here swapped in a vehicle 2.3, and did it perform ok? I'm getting conflicting opinions searching around the internet. If it's only going to half-assed work, or not hold up in a constant rpm setting, I'd rather not waste my time and just pull the 423P for a rebuild. Thanks in advance for any help!
You'd need a governor for one thing. Maybe could take parts off the bad engine. Have heard the 4-98 was an industrial Pinto engine. 2.3 is bigger but I'm sure how similar.
That's what I was thinking. Transfer everything from the 423 to the 2.3. Externally, they sure look the same, but I'm not sure if the cam is different, maybe a stronger bottom end, etc.
I just noticed I missed a word. Not sure how similar. 423 sure sounds like it refers to 4 cylinder 2.3l's. Don't know if the internals are the same. Maybe an established engine repair shop would know or have parts manuals.
Internals are basically the same, crank, rods, piston specs might be different. Only difference in cylinder head would be if it 423P uses sodium filled exhaust valves, should already have hardened seats.
Thanks for the insight. Maybe talking to a couple of older engine shops would be the way to go. There's a guy that hopefully is still around that might know some things. He sure did a bang-up job on a 40's Hercules flathead about 5 years ago.