Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Ford 445 Backhoe

Markhodges78 · 2019-03-03 17:06

I have a ford 445 backhoe that has a problem with the boom not holding I’m not sure if my problem is in the control or the cylinder. I did raise the boom all the way up and removed the line from the bottom of the cylinder I was toning to attempt to continue to raise the boom to see if fluid came from the line I disconnected but as soon as I started the backhoe fluid poured out from the line I disconnected from the control side should this be happening or is there something wrong in the control Thanks mark

Replies19
  1. #1Welder Dave2019-03-05 00:31

    Most likely cylinder seals. The control valve on my backhoe pours fluid out when other hoses are off but it is fine when they are connected. Is the cylinder weeping at all from the gland nut? That can be an early sign the internal seals are leaking.

  2. #2Markhodges782019-03-05 10:56

    Not that I have noticed but I will have a look at that this evening. This all started because I feel as though the backhoe doesn’t have very good digging power and sometimes I have to use 2 controls at once to get it to dig I did check the pressure coming from the backhoe control for the curl and I’m getting 2150 psi before it reliefs But I will check for leakage at the ram and get back to you Thanks Mark

  3. #3Markhodges782019-03-05 19:49

    Ok I checked and I don’t see any weeping from the gland nut are anywhere on the cylinder for that matter.

  4. #4Welder Dave2019-03-06 01:38

    It's normal to use 2 or 3 controls when digging. That's how you make it operate smoother. If the cylinder seals are bad enough they could cause a decrease in performance because they are losing pressure from internal leakage. Maybe you could switch hoses with another cylinder that seems to be holding and see if the boom still drops or a local hyd. shop could take a look. Usually cylinder seals are the 1st thing to go but it could be a valve problem too. I'd investigate the cylinder 1st.

  5. #5Markhodges782019-03-06 05:36

    Yesterday when I got home I raised the boom removed lower hose from the boom cleaned all the fluid from around the area put a peace of cardboard down went back a hour later and the boom had dropped and no oil on the cardboard I was told to try this and if fluid didn’t come out then that meant the fluid went back in the control. Does this sound right ?

  6. #6Vetech632019-03-06 06:59

    I am assuming we are dealing with the backhoe boom here. The best way to check cylinder leakage is to lay the boom out flat, Remove the base end hose and plug that hose, leaving the cylinder port where the hose was open. Start the backhoe and ease the control to pressure the hose on the rod end and look for oil coming out the base end fitting. You should have just a very small amount coming from that fitting. If you have a flood, your seals are bad on the boom piston.

  7. #7Markhodges782019-03-06 09:19

    This is exactly what I did in the beginning and I got absolutely no fluid from the cylinder From the open port on the cylinder or from the upper ramp seal

  8. #8Vetech632019-03-06 16:53

    Then you have some type of fluid leakage at the control valve spool or circuit relief.

  9. #9mg23612019-03-07 04:49

    My suggestion would be to perform the cylinder leakage when the rod is fully extended. Rods should not be tested in the retracted state because many cylinders will have the piston bottom out in the barrel base and the piston can create a metal to metal seal within the barrel. That is why they should only be leak tested with the rod extended. The rod end fitting placement is usually in the space between piston and rod guide assuring a leak path if packing is blown. To be sure your cylinder is not the issue extend the rod all the way out then remove rod end fitting and cap the line and try your leak test again.

  10. #10Markhodges782019-03-19 19:41

    I have done all the suggestions listed here as far as testing. I even pulled cylinder in half way and supported the boom then I removed the line going to the top of the cylinder and put a cap on the cylinder port. Then I removed the support and the boom dropped about half an inch I marked the cylinder with sharpie at the seal and left it. I returned to check in 24 hours and the boom was still off the ground and the mark was still at the seal so i think it would have to be at the valve right ? next ? is the main reilf valve on the backhoe control valve is 2400 psi if that relief is set at 2400 then why is the crowd set for 3500 how can the crowd see 3500 if the main relieves at 2400 ? Thanks Mark

  11. #11Delmer2019-03-19 21:30

    the boom acting on the cylinder can cause that pressure. That part isn't unusual.

  12. #12Markhodges782019-03-19 21:44

    Oh OK that makes since thought I would ask getting ready to tear into the control valve and see whats what any idea where I can get a service manual online for this loader Thanks Mark

  13. #13jimg9842019-03-19 23:58

    https://www.ebay.com/itm/FORD-420-4...480095?hash=item25fe9cd19f:g:uGcAAOSwQ61bZbdm HOPE THIS HELPS GOOD LUCK

  14. #14Markhodges782019-03-20 07:56

    Will this cover the backhoe as well ?

  15. #15Tinkerer2019-03-20 09:17

    There are several vendors offering the Ford 455 service manual. Search eBay for it and when you see a listing that appeals to you, contact the vendor and ask specifically if the backhoe unit is in it.

  16. #16Markhodges782019-03-20 10:16

    OK so I got this one looks like I got a good deal. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-230A-...ual-SE-4455-/183694008410?txnId=1944927264008

  17. #17Tinkerer2019-03-20 10:56

    You got a good deal ! It specifically says it has the loader and backhoe manuals. You can't be too careful when buying any manuals. It is very easy to come up with less than you need. The Ford service manuals are a good example. Some vendors are selling the tractor only manual.

  18. #18Markhodges782019-03-20 11:13

    Yes and this manual is an original not a copy which that didn’t bother me to much as to what I was getting

  19. #19jimg9842019-03-20 11:37

    GOOD DEAL CAN'T BEAT THAT GOOD LUCK