Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Ford 4500

Mr Goodwrench ยท 2012-12-16 14:06

Greetings everybody new guy here and have questions, first what is the best way to remove the main hydaulic pump drive shaft for fan belt replacement and ujoint repair? allready have waterpump removed (was leaking) I see 4 bolts to disconnect flange from front pulley but can driveshaft be worked out? Thanks in advance.

Replies6
  1. #1mitch5042012-12-16 14:38

    Short answer: Nope, you have to remove the pump mounting bolts. You may be able to move the pump aside enough to get the shaft out without removing the lines, depending on how yours is set up.

  2. #2Mr Goodwrench2012-12-17 19:24

    thanks mitch was afraid of that

  3. #3FRISKY2012-12-19 16:46

    Congrats on getting the 4500! It is a very strong backhoe.

  4. #4deepwater2012-12-22 05:58

    Just an idea. I have seen people ratchet tie another v belt to the radiator for quick replacement. May or may not be a good idea, and yes I do believe you will have to remove pump mounting bolts. Have fun

  5. #5robin yates uk2012-12-23 05:19

    the old JCB 3 series came already fitted with a spare belt in place.

  6. #6Mr Goodwrench2012-12-24 21:41

    thanks for all the help guys!! going to have some more questions as I get deeper into it.