http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=VRfBJIzNrYw&feature=fvwp I ran across this today and had to post this. You will 1st wonder how he got the hoe up there, and then you will see how he gets it off. Sorry if this is kinda off normal topics, but this simply amazed me. This is some specialized back hoe. Has anyone ever seen this? I thought just loading one on a trailer was stressfull... Just skip the ad.
There is one setting about 1mi from my place on the side of the tracks been setting there for 6mo, it has a winch in the bucket probably to keep the car from running away from it.... Pj
Crazy, skillful but crazy
My first back hoe was an 8N Ford. It sat rather low to the ground and I felt very comfortable doing anything with it. Now when I get into my 580se I feel like I'm sitting very high and it is frightening at times. Just a little lean to the side will sometimes make me drop the outriggers and drop the bucket. I guess age has something to do with that also. My biggest fear is going over backwards so I always back up hills. Jumping out of an airplane and backing off a rail car are two things not on my bucket list. Here is a link to my worst nightmare but this guy wanted to commit suicide I think, how stupid! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-_Ifs1UlTw
Lol Syndy with an intro like that there is NO way I'm clicking on that link ha Pj
The Herzog operator that unloaded that backhoe earns every penny of his paycheck and it should be a big one - that is skill. The other video Syndy posted should start out like this - "Hey ya'll hold my beer and watch this.."
I have a photo set of a backhoe going up onto a rail car. I wouldnt want to do it. How about unloading some cars? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bInXhNc8IM
I operate a case hoe day in day out. Takes skill yes but my opinion, as ling as the front bucket is set on somethan solid, you can raise and lower the machine high as you want with no worrys.
As long as the loader bucket is on something firm you are safe , just as JS580SL said . You will notice the train had to pull forward to help him out . Did you notice the big guides bolted to the bottim of the loader bucket to keep it centered on the car , and also on the stabilizers . When they load them it is the same , they jack it up and the car is backed under them . They also have a winch in the bucket to pull them from car to car . I have run backhoes for a long time , but the first time doing this might require some clean laundry .
Here's another video that has just the right amount of pucker factor for my blood... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HO-wTO7ice8
Backhoe on the rail car I can see that. But I believe that is done only in a have to situation for safety reasons. I mean I can't see them doing this with ohsa and all the safety cops around. The what if , you loose a hose , valve failure or whatever. Would I try it , sure. Day in and day out ,I can't see it being common practice. The excavator tower , the plate has the quick tach pins grabbing the tower , I bet the track has some sort of anchor also but I couldn't tell from the video. I do know the second or third time he bumped that tower it would have slid or seems like it would. The angle he is setting on allows him to see higher on the tower or he couldn't do it. It looks like an Evil Knievel planned sort of thing but I think they have a better engineer. Don't get me wrong this stuff is still cool , but I'm the kind that wants to know how and the reasoning behind it.
People do crazy things or they may say "improvise". These guys don't know how to spell the words, "OVER LOADED". Eh, they got the job done and probably do it every day. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FE02TxLlRQU
Herzog does this every day , all over the country , maybe the world . OSHA has no standards on it . The railroads do some fairly extreme things with equipment . Have you ever watched Hulcher clean up a derailment , I don't think OSHA was invited . OSHA is more concerned with ext. cords , ladders , fall protection , confined spaces etc . As far as the tower climb they have cams and pins that lock the tracks whilehe moves the boom . Did you notice the machines parked on all 4 of the anchor points ? That tower was going nowhere . That operator impressed me , as there is not much practicing involved , it either works or it don't .