I have a early 70's f0rd 4500 when I use the left swing fluid shoots out the vent or port or whatever it is on the side of that cylinder. I archived it and so far haven found the terminology or diagram. It would be a check valve or vent to allow cylinder to free move to let the other side work. My book covers 555 and appears different. Any info would be appreciated. thanx steve
That is a vent, it originally had a hose barb elbow in each cylinder, with a piece of low pressure hose (think fuel line) connecting the backs of the 2 cylinders together. This allows air and the little bit of oil that escapes to go back and forth from cylinder to cylinder without sucking in dirt and water, etc. These always seem to disappear. If you are getting a spray of oil from one, it is internal leakage by the piston packing. It will leak for a while, then it will refuse to swing that way. The best way to pack these cylinders is to leave the barrel on the machine and just pull the gland and rod out of it.
Good to know. It looks like someone put the same vent that I have seen on the loader frame oil port. Thanks. steve
mitch504 hit the nail on the head . Had a service call to work on the swing cylinders on an old Ford backhoe . Looked pretty grim on arrival . The chain that swings the hoe had broke while the operator was on a hillside . End result was the hoe swung hard into the cylinder on the low side driving the rod & piston completely out the back . Busted up the gland nut as well . Had a local machine shop make us a new gland nut and welded the but end plate back on the cylinder . Then repacked both cylinders & repaired the swing chain .
I had one years ago. All the hoses needed replacing. Here are all my pics from when I worked on it... http://www.getdieselpower.com/Tractors/Ford4500-1973/album/