Hi folks, Just bought the tractor, and pulled the head for a bent valve. Machine shop said the head is junk, there are 3 cracks, and 1 goes all the way through the head. He said he could tell be the discoloration that it got really hot. I am looking at buying a remaned/used head for the engine, but I am wondering if the block is going to have the same story. Is there a chance the head has 3 cracks from heat, but the block has none? There was no coolant in the oil, nor visa versa. Should I be looking for a whole new engine?
The engine blocks are a lot tougher than the heads. Buy a reman head a get back to work.
New head and valves on order, just lap and go, correct? New gasket kit too.
I would rering it, replace or at least check bearings. That is not much more while the head is off and you know you don't have to go back.