Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Ford 4500 bent loader hydraulic cylinder

csthompson12 ยท 2018-03-12 12:07

Hello, A little while ago I bent a bucket curl cylinder quite bad on my 4500. I have tried to straighten it the best I can, but I am still leaking quite a bit of fluid.. Probably my only option would be to get a new chrome cylinder and seal kit. I am guessing the cylinder rod is not available anymore? Anyone ever bent one, and successfully straighten it out?

Replies9
  1. #1Tinkerer2018-03-12 14:02

    I would never try to straighten one. It would probably bend again if you did. I just had a rod replaced in a cylinder 3 weeks ago. I sent a new packing kit with it. $258.00 for the new rod and packing kit installed. I thought it was a very fair price.

  2. #2joe--h2018-03-12 15:30

    Hydraulic shop can make you a new rod.

  3. #3Billrog2018-03-12 15:52

    If you have one made take the bent one with you they will cut the eye off and weld it onto the new one.

  4. #4csthompson122018-03-12 16:12

    Tinkerer, was that on a Ford?, did you get the cylinder right from New Holland?

  5. #5Ronsii2018-03-12 20:06

    Usually when I tried to straighten something I put it in a press and start trying to bend the other way and guess how much to overbend it... with limited success.. then a few years ago I came across Keith Fenner on youtube using heat/cold to straighten bent shafts!!! I was impressed to say the least While I haven't tried this technique *yet* I will one of these days... here is a quick intro video he did recently of the process.

  6. #6oarwhat2018-03-12 20:36

    WOW!! my buddy bent shafts on a regular basis. I'll have to try this next time.Thanks

  7. #7Ronsii2018-03-12 20:55

    I thought it was the coolest method I ever saw... and with simple tools no less!!! Only thing am not sure of is how chromed rods will take it....

  8. #8Tinkerer2018-03-12 21:22

    No cs, It was a Case swing cylinder. It went t o hydraulic cylinder repair shop. Do not go to New Holland ! It is a very routine everyday repair job for hydraulic shops. They cut the eye off my damaged rod weld it onto a new one and machined the other end in a lathe for the piston mount and threaded it for the nut to hold it on.

  9. #9td25c2018-03-12 21:52

    We call it " heat shrinking " . Warm it up then cool it off fast . First saw it about 30 years ago .. Old cat was using the procedure on a drive shaft chucked in a metal lathe . He would heat it red in a spot with the torch then cool it with compressed air . It works but we are talking a few thousandths of an inch ... Also helps when removing a dent from a quarter panel on your old car ..... Not that I would ever get in situation that might lead to a dent in my car ....... It never happened .