Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Ford 4500 brake boot replacement

livetolearn ยท 2012-05-14 23:57

My 1966 Ford 4500 has leaked rear end fluid constantly from the right brake boot. When the brakes chatter I know to add more fluid. I finally removed the old brake boot ( which had a tear on the bottom half), But can not get the new boot's outer seal to seat. The inner seal went in easy. What am I missing in seating the outer seal? All suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Replies6
  1. #1livetolearn2012-05-15 21:52

    I finally wised up an measured the new brake boot an the opening in the rear housing. The boot would not fit because I left the old steel outer sealing ring in the housing. The old boot came out in little pieces after an hour struggle and I neglected to remove the ring. After that the new boot went in with ease.

  2. #24500GUY2012-05-15 21:57

    Good info to know if I ever need to do mine!

  3. #394porkchop2012-05-17 14:05

    what kind of brake fluid do we use in the 4500?

  4. #44500GUY2012-05-17 21:29

    I use the New Holland 134-D fluid (Ambra). Pricey, but works very well with the wet disc setup.

  5. #594porkchop2012-05-17 22:09

    you happen to remember the part number for the seal?

  6. #6livetolearn2012-05-18 22:28

    porkchop, The brake boot (seal) I think is 1A8-10 for $8.20. The fluid for the rear (wet brakes) is 134-D, same for hydraulics, power steering and my sos trans. I found that the dealer sells the 134-d for $75+, tractor supply $45 and sams $42.