I have a 4500 and I think the generator is failing. While running I can put my tester to the battery and I am reading about 11.5 volts. I have replaced alternators and generators on other vehicles and tractors with a GM 1 wire alternator before and its an inexpensive an easy alternative to purchasing many of the oem parts. However the gereator on this tractor has the tach cable attached to one side of it. If I use the GM 1 wire alternator in place of my generator is there and alternative for the tach cable in terms of where or how I can attach it?
May your dreams come true... I think this may be what you need: http://www.cheaptractorparts.com/p-22791-2000-7000-alt-w-tach-drive.aspx
That is pretty nice. I will definitely get that before I go back with a generator. However the GM 1 wire alternator I have is only $50ish ? Just wasn't sure if anyone here had seen a less expensive alternative to these near $200 parts.
It's because it's special with that gear drive for the tach cable. You could always buy a cheap electronic tach and hook it up to the "R" terminal on a standard SI alternator, just have to program it until it's correct.
Or leave the generator where it is and cobble the alternator on somewhere else. I assume you're doing something where you need the tach? Only thing I can really think of it PTO work, otherwise shouldn't really matter much. Hourmeter too I guess, but again how critical is it on an older machine?
Apropos of nothing but tractors, I have a mental image of an old tractor with a big round tach, had colored segments on it showing road speed at RPM's for each gear... one size fits all.
I have an older ford tractor with a generator. If the battery goes dead or has been removed I have to polarize the generator to get it to charge again. I will try to attach some instructions. You use a jumper wire to create a small spark it only takes a split second and your charging again.