Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

ford 4500 Ignition switch replacement

larry zielkowski ยท 2020-02-29 18:38

I just bought a ford 4500 tractor with a broken ignition switch what is left of it is just hanging there I ordered the replacement switch from jensales and the switch they sent was a 5 pole ,3 position switch off, on and on with no spring back for starting it has no spring back after the diesel engine starts . Jensales is assuring me this is the right switch and i disagree can anyone shed any light on the subject thanks

Replies6
  1. #1highwayghost2020-02-29 19:01

    It may very well be the right switch but it may also be defective. I have never heard of a start switch that needed to be manually removed from the start position. Call around for another switch and explain your situation.

  2. #2Tinkerer2020-02-29 20:19

    That switch is a guaranteed starting motor destroyer !

  3. #3larry zielkowski2020-02-29 21:03

    thanks highwayghost for the quick reply you were correct the switch was stuck when i played around with it a bit more it started working right ....problem solved thanks again

  4. #4highwayghost2020-02-29 23:38

    Try putting some oil in the key hole to loosen it up so that it won't happen again.

  5. #5Tinkerer2020-03-01 22:56

    Don't trust it get another new one. I destroyed a starter under identical conditions like yours. Even the field coils in my starter were destroyed. The starter was $250.00 and I still had to replace the switch.

  6. #6Welder Dave2020-03-02 00:38

    Yeah, if it sticks before it's even installed is a recipe for disaster. Get them to replace it.