I have a ‘69 4500 industrial tractor loader with torque converter, finally running but I wouldn’t shift out of 2nd of 4th rear. It was moving then stopped so I changed the transmission fluid and filter and now jerks when I shift the torque convert in forward or reverse and is still stuck in 2nd and 4th, any suggestions? Thanks!
Welcome aboard Dale. I'd love to see a picture of your ford, got one myself. How much did you pay for it? Sounds like it may have to come apart. Do you plan on taking it apart outside? When? Do you have your own wrench or brother in law? Mabel you should save a little money and round up some parts or locate a donor first. Im sure you're anxious to split the tractor. Do you plan on filming the repair? Heard about a cool application for automatic time lapse shots seems pretty nice. Please send me a picture of the tractor. Best regards, fix
Hello Philip, what did the fluid look like? Shiny chunky ? Did you save the filter or cut it open?
How about a pic of where the shifter goes into the trans? I don't know about ford, but a lot of old tractors would get stuck in gear and you could take the shifter out, pop the linkages back into place with a long screwdriver, and be more careful with your shifting.
Yeah, the 4500 was bad about going into 2 gears at once. take the top cover off of thr transmission, that the gearshift is mounted to, the shift rails are moved by a set of arched levers that pivot on bolts that come in from the sides of the transmission housing. get both rails back in neutral and carefully reinstall the shifter. Another common problem is sometimes some people may take a pivot bolt out thinking it is the plug to check the oil level. I MIGHT have have done that myself 25 or 30 years ago, but I really can't remember back that far now. If that happens, the cure is the same, take the cover off and put everything back where it belongs.
There is a 1966 Ford utility tractor here for parts. I didn't look at the machine but called about a hoe bucket. This machine went down because of broken transmission housing. Anything you want me to look at while there?
My 4500 industrial problem I have the 4500 industrial tractor loader backhoe with a torque converter. Not a fan of the torque converter transmission on this thing. Last Saturday, it got stuck in reverse and I can't get it out of gear. The forward/reverse lever feels like it must've detached inside the transmission as it went limp and isn't doing anything now. There doesn't appear to be any easy access to get in there where the linkage goes into the transmission and see what happened without having to remove the fuel tank and steering column, or maybe even have to split the tractor (which I likely would not attempt). Anyone know of any tricks? I really need to get this thing operational soon.