Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Ford 4500 injection pump timing

4500GUY ยท 2012-11-02 08:10

Hi Guys! Have a question regarding the old Ford 3 cyl. diesel. She seems to be running a bit on the rich side. Seeing unburnt fuel from the exhaust, but running great otherwise. I had the pump off to do some cleaning & painting of the engine etc. and when I reinstalled, I set it up at zero degrees. What I didn't do, was take note of the original setting. (Hindsight 20-20?) If I advance the pump timing a bit, would that clear this up? Seems like the fuel is being delivered slightly too late. If this is worth a try, what direction would I turn the pump and about how much? So appreciate any help! Dave

Replies3
  1. #1Tinkerer2012-11-02 18:18

    It could be the pump. But I would take the injectors to a pump repair shop and have them checked.

  2. #2thepumpguysc2012-11-03 06:55

    IF it was running better BEFORE you removed the pump..Move the pump..OPPOSITE DIRECTION of normal pump rotation will advance the timing.

  3. #34500GUY2012-11-04 16:13

    Thanks for the input guys! I'll advance the timing 1 degree, see how she responds and keep you posted.