Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

JCB 4CX Backhoe Loader Operator Case Study

Spencer ยท 2012-11-02 07:27

I am a student studying a Loughborough University, UK and am currently undertaking a module which requires my to look at the JCB 4CX. This is a group project and I have been put in charge of the ergonomics and driver controls. The initial section of the report requires me to research backhoe loader operators to get their ideas for improvements that could be made to backhoe loaders to make the operators job easier and more time efficient. Anything that annoys you as backhoe operators would also be very helpful. Any suggestions/opinions would be really helpful. Thanks.

Replies13
  1. #1watglen2012-11-02 08:01

    One that particular machine, a narrower boom would be nice. And when is spend a lot of time in mine, my throttle foot cramps up, goes to sleep. Not sure why, but it may be common.

  2. #2Spencer2012-11-13 17:54

    Backhoe Loader Customer Survey I am currently a student at Loughborough University, England studying an Automotive Engineering degree. I am undertaking a module which involves research into the backhoe loader, inparticularly the JCB 4CX. I have to put together two short questionnaires. The first regarding general backhoe use and the second specifically regarding the JCB 4CX. Backhoe Loader Product Survey JCB 4CX Customer Product Improvement Survey It is proving hard to find the relevent people to complete this as I dont have direct contact with backhoe operators, which is why I am using this forum. Many thanks in advance.

  3. #3robin yates uk2012-11-14 06:31

    contact JCB direct. Explain what you are doing and I am sure they will assist.I was an owner operator of the JCB 3CX,,,,,,,,,,great machine, good cab , power assisted digging levers, I have had various shifts using the Cat 427 and the Case, neither as good as the JCB in my opinion

  4. #4digger242j2012-11-14 19:09

    (Merger of two nearly identical threads) :cool2

  5. #5robin yates uk2012-11-15 05:19

    when using a JCB on the road I used to use the hand throttle control where safe of course. Gives your leg a rest

  6. #6robin yates uk2012-11-15 05:23

    use the hand throttle on open roads, gives your leg a rest when you need it

  7. #7Hendrik2012-11-15 20:31

    Sounds like the boys want cruise control and more cupholders. Ohh don't forget bluethooth hands free and a killer sound system. Seriously though, never operated a JCB backhoe but it looks like they still have old school controls, pilot controls, IMHO, are much better insofar that you are able to sit back in the seat instead of leaning slightly forward to pull on the sticks.

  8. #8robin yates uk2012-11-15 21:00

    Hendrik, I have never even heard of pilot controls.If the seat is positioned correctly the levers always came to hand if my memory serves me right.

  9. #9Hendrik2012-11-15 21:51

    Huh, do you mean you have never heard of pilot controls in a backhoe or pilot controls in general? Sure the levers come to hand if you stretch far enough but where do you rest your elbows? The whole pilot versus levers, ISO versus SAE has been discussed a few times so there is no need to go down that path. Personal experience tells me that I can sit all day on a pilot control machine but after a few hours on a lever and foot control machine, my back and neck are sore. Only real difference is the seating position.

  10. #10robin yates uk2012-11-15 22:19

    I think it is what you get used to,,,,,I have done many 12 hour shifts on a JCB, never had back probs or aching neck but if I went on say an Atlas then discomfort would be expected till you become accustomed to the new positions of everything

  11. #11d4c24a2012-11-16 15:45

    jcb do precision control and easy control for backhoes , if you require feedback through the controls (utility's ) etc then you cant beat good old sticks like i have http://www.jcb.com/products/bhl/easycontrol.aspx

  12. #12robin yates uk2012-11-17 04:01

    :notworthy:drinkup, I agree ...

  13. #13John K2013-01-11 21:01

    I need the seat to have an adjustment for my light butt... 145lbs doesn't get my feet anywhere close to the floor! No comfort when you are dangling your feet or sitting in the edge of the seat while cruising down the site.