Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

ford 4500 SOS trans problem

livetolearn ยท 2012-11-14 23:07

I have a 1966 Ford 4500 backhoe with the 10 speed SOS transmission. The trans works in reverse(1&2), forward 5,6,7 & 8. The # 1 & #3 servo's appear to work OK delivering about 200psi when needed. The #2 servo gives 185-190 psi in reverse (1&2), but 0 to 95psi in the forward gears that do not work( 1,2,3,4,9,10). Which I think should be delivering 200psi as well for those gears. Is there a simple fix? Can I lock out servo #2 and just use servo's #1 and #3 ?

Replies7
  1. #1mitch5042012-11-14 23:19

    Wow, I didn't know they ever put a select-o-speed in an industrial tractor, I thought they only came in ag tractors. I've only worked on an s-o-s a little bit a long time ago. I'll try to remember to find some info for you tomorrow.

  2. #2livetolearn2012-11-17 20:28

    ford 4500 backhoe SOS trans problem It worked in all the gears but not great before I changed the filter an all new fluid in the trans. Any suggestions on places to look would be appreciated.

  3. #3BlazinSS9342012-11-18 09:25

    Just thrown it out there, wrong trans fluid? Maybe try a couple of bottles of Lucas trans oil?

  4. #4jimg9842012-11-18 17:40

    does the pump whin,, if so not getting fluid from the tank to pump,, there is a strainer inline from tank to pump,, which has been bad on the 4500 stopping up with packing from the hyd cyclinders

  5. #5jimg9842012-11-19 00:07

    sry my bad tho you were working with hyd system not the drive system good luck anyways

  6. #6livetolearn2012-11-20 19:53

    The filter and fluid were to spec. and from the Ford dealer.

  7. #7livetolearn2012-11-20 20:06

    I'm guessing that some gunk is stuck in a bye-pass value in servo #2 and not allowing pressure to buildup to 200 psi. If that is possible, can I service servo #2 without splitting the machine and removing the trans?