I need to replace the starter on my 1971 Ford 4500 backhoe. The two front 9/16 bolts are easy , but I can't see the third bolt let alone feel it. Are there any tricks to getting out the third bolt?
Use a 1/4” drive on a universal swivel.. I think that’s how I did it..
It can be done but it’s a real pain with the cramped space caused by the injection pump on the diesel. I think I used a 3/8” drive with just the right combination of extensions and universal to fit in the only space where you can get a handle on. That’s a pretty good size bolt, so not sure if a 1/4” drive would handle the necessary torque without damage. Thepumpguysc is pretty sharp though so it might work. Definitely would give more working room. Expect lots of nicks and cuts on your hands before you’re done. Good luck
Were you able to see or feel the Bolt?
I think I used a small mirror to locate the bolt till I was comfortable with about where it was at. Then just do it by feel.
Mission accomplished! My son-in-law stopped over and within a minute, was able to remove the starter. Apparently, his hands are a lot smaller than mine, and he had no problem. Thanks everyone for the help and support.
Now that I was able to remove the old starter I need I need to order a new one. The diameter of the starter is 5 inches. I don't see any obvious OEM numbers on it. How can I make sure to order the correct one?
Correct VIN/ engine serial # or actual parts manual should get you what you need. Do you have any manuals?
I don't have any manuals.
Maybe ? 3 Cyl Industrial Tractor | New Holland Construction | MyCNH US Store www.mycnhstore.com