Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

ford 4500 won’t start

richpur ยท 2014-11-02 16:56

I have an old ford 4500 backhoe loader that I can't get started. It ran out of fuel two years ago and I haven't been able to get it started since. I have bled the system and get fuel out of the bleeder valve on the side of the cav pump, but no fuel comes out of the end of the pump into the injector lines. Anybody have any suggestions?

Replies1
  1. #1wrwtexan2014-11-02 18:50

    Metering valve may be stuck. Litely tapping on the side of pump while starting can break it loose. If not, and you are of confident enough, remove the top of the pump and see if the metering valve lever at the injector line end turns freely. If not, work it loose and it might start. A B12 Chemtool soak after all else, might also break whatever is stuck loose.