I just bought a Ford 545A 4wd loader tractor. Not perfect condition but decent. but also has problems. The big one. Missing front driveshaft and you can just spin the pinion by hand. What am i looking at? Bad spiders or ring and pinion? I was just hoping the front driveshaft was not installed after the engine install. Silly me
Like any other kind of differential, could be the aforementioned or a broken axle. You wont know until you start taking it apart. Can you get the driveshaft from the previous owner ? That alone may be expensive to replace.
Yeah. It is going to have to sit till the winter till I have time to pull the axle
Well...... its been a while but I FINALLY got to tear into the axle Carrier bearing went bad and fell forward and away from the pinion. The problem is the carrier got ruined when the bearing went bad. So now I need to see if I can get the bad parts
I was able to get a NEW carrier from Ford for about $360 Some new carrier bearings for another $70 Got it all back together........... I have the carrier in backwards:Banghead When the rear tires are driving forward, the front are going reward. I have to tear the axle back out and spin the carrier and re-setup the gears
I guess it can be done, 'cause you did it....but my first thought was "How the heck can that even happen!!!" I thought that stuff only went in one way. You didn't get a WHOLE new ring and pinion did you?? That just might be pitched opposite/reverse of the original set? If THAT is EVEN possible?? Just thinking out loud here...I'm sure others will dive in...
No, same ring and pinion. The housing is symmetrical unlike an automotive housing that can only go together one way. So you can put the carrier in 180* out. And I figured out how to do it. My friends father that was helping me at their shop said not to worry. He put together a tractor in his younger years and it had 16 reverse gears and 4 forward. LOL
Take a look at the hubs also. Lots of guys never checked the oil and their planetaries self destructed. Hope yours are ok as parts used to be $3K per side.
Yes, they have been flushed and refilled Reman outer planitaries are $2500