Anyone familiar with the 4 speed shuttle shift transmission that ford uses in the ford 550 backhoe. Having issues with the transmission. Backhoe ran flawless the first 2 years I owned it. Sat all summer last year for me to fix a bunch of issues and now it wont go either direction. I can lift the tires off the ground and it shifts into forward and reverse just has no go. I changed the fluid and it shifted great, sat for a few days and same thing, wouldn't go forward or reverse. Changed the fluid and filter and ran great again, sat for a week and again wouldn't go either direction. Honestly sounds like lack of hydraulic pressure but what's everyone's thoughts. I want to cut an inspection hole in the bottom of the case to clean the pickup and build a plate for access.
What part of MT. There should be someone local who can help. Cutting a hole in the case is a really bad idea. Sounds like you have a linkage or valve problem. Time for a shop manual. Make sure you have line pressure first. Valve No-s 71 can be reached through access hole on top of bell housing. Might have a stuck valve or broken spring. Main Control Valve, No. 39, is kind of accessable through top and bottom access holes of bell housing but you're not going to be able to do much to it other than make sure it moves. If you have to work on linkage arm No. 22, you can get at it from top and bottom access holes. I doubt there's anything wrong with your relief valves but you can get at them through the bottom of the bell housing. https://www.messicks.com/nhc/60814 Page 07B03. No 39 Valve or No. 71 Valve. Relief Valves No. 46 and 49. Page 07B01. Control Valve Arm No. 22