Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Ford 550 Front End

thahn1608 ยท 2011-04-22 08:36

I have a Ford 550 TLB that I've been doing some repairs on. My problem is the front axle pins are completely worn out, and I'm assuming the bushings are shot (from the previous owner not owning a grease gun). My question is how hard is it to put in new bushings and pins? I have the repair manual, but you know how easy they make it sound... Would it be better for me to get a good used axle than to repair the one I have? What should the cost be to put in new bushings and pins? Any recommendations where to get parts other than the dealership? I'm relatively new here and this machine is new to me, so I'm asking for advice. Thanks!

Replies4
  1. #1koldsteele2011-04-22 08:52

    2 wheel drive or 4 wheel drive machine ??

  2. #2thahn16082011-04-22 08:57

    2 wheel, sorry.

  3. #3koldsteele2011-04-22 09:10

    The king pin is staitonary in the axle ..the spindles have bushings in them...they worst wear will happen in the spindle not the axle ... Best way to drive the king pins out is heat the axle and drive them out ..When putting in new bushings in the spindles you'll have to have them machined to fit your new pin ... Not really a hard job ...Torches are a must good luck

  4. #4koldsteele2011-04-22 09:15

    Oh on your parts find an A&I or Tisco dealer near you ..If not PM me and try to help ..