Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Ford 550 Injector Problems?

thahn1608 ยท 2011-06-01 10:56

As I was using the 500 TLB yesterday it was increasingly losing power and blowing more black smoke. The idle rpm's dropped so I had to use the lever throttle control to keep them up enough to not stall the machine. It also has a really hard time starting now. I look in the manual and it says to refurbish or replace the injectors. Is this the case or should I start looking somewhere else? It idles and runs smoothly - it's just like a fuel/air mixture problem. The machine has a new air filter and is getting plenty of air, so I know that's not the problem. I'm at a loss. I also had the blessed crossover hose on the swing cylinders burst late last night. After reading up on some of the older posts I'm assuming my cylinders are leaking. So today I'm going to try to detach the hoe and rebuild the cylinders. Any suggestions as to what to look for or problems you have encountered doing this? This seems to be a pretty common problem. I bought this machine a few months ago and have had nothing but problems with it. The previous owner had the motor rebuilt, but didn't get the seal right between the engine and transmission, so the first thing I had to do was break the machine apart and fix it. Then the front king pin was loose so I had to rebuild the front axle assembly. The rear breaks are shot, but still working - enough. At the time it was what I could afford, and with a rebuilt motor I was hoping it couldn't be terrible. Alas. Anything else I should be looking for as far as problem areas? I take good care of my equipment, but the previous owner didn't seem to own a grease gun... You can see my frustration. These are all things that were fine when I tested the machine and looked it over before purchasing it. They just all seemed to go at once - literally. I've had the machine 2 months now and have had it in service maybe 10 days. Any help is appreciated!

Replies0

No replies yet.