Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Ford 5500 Rehab: I Love This Machine!

biged ยท 2012-07-03 22:21

It was love at first sight. OK it has a face only a mother could love. Saw it on Craig's List and I knew it had to be mine. All the stars and planets must have been aligned. Located in the next town over about 5 miles away. She was very rough. Leaky, smoked like an old hooker and I just couldn't resist. I brought it home the same day and went to work in my back "yard" the next day. My wife went out early and when she was driving down the road she panicked as the entire area was enshrouded in smoke. Well I had no idea, being love struck and all. About five hours running and at least 20 gallons of hydraulic fluid, a few square miles of smoke and this old girl didn't look so good no more. Did a compression test the next day, about 250 - 300 psi as I recall, and I was overhaulin' her motor, a 233 Ford diesel. I also didn't care for the cosmetics. I thought, I can't look out the windows at this body. So I set out t restore her good looks over this past winter. I still have the hoe to go over, finish up the cab and who knows what all else, but what a powerful machine!

Replies9
  1. #1CasIns2012-07-04 22:57

    Wow nice work. She looks like a good machine. Looks like you invested some serious money in hydraulic hoses!

  2. #2biged2012-07-05 21:15

    Thanks CasIns. Ford seemed to have overbuilt the 5500/5550 so I felt that it was worth the investment, mostly time. Most of the hoses were original from 1968, so about 44 years old! I built a press rig, bought used dies, rings and die bowl on eBay and make the hoses up quite inexpensively. Most of the hydraulic hoses are 3/4" with 7/8" jic fittings.

  3. #3robin yates uk2012-07-05 23:09

    you have made a princess out of an old hooker,,,,,,, great to see the transformation

  4. #4Sky King2012-07-06 00:54

    Looks GREAT !! I retired last week and now I have some time for a IH 3400A I bought recently. I'm not buying new parts and am fixing everything I can. It has been an interesting time with more to come for sure. I just want it to work like it is should. It's gonna be nice when it is done, if there is such a word when referring to one of these dinosaurs. I am so glad I am mechanical. On a side note, I bought it to make life easier for me around the house. I have allot of stuff I want to do and this will certainly make it all easier. Stay with it !!

  5. #5CasIns2012-07-06 21:47

    I'm impressed you made all those hoses yourself. Could you post some pics of your setup? I sure could save some money and aggravation if I could do that myself! As a sidenote there's a 5500 near me for 3 grand. I'm tempted to buy it, even though I can't justify it all.

  6. #6Sky King2012-07-06 23:19

    I'd like to see the hose set up as well. I do have a resource for the hoses but have not used them yet. The hoses are the easy part for me. I've got other issues. Plenty of them.

  7. #7biged2012-07-07 10:47

    I posted a piece on the hose crimper. Check it out.

  8. #8ford5500tlc2012-11-17 13:32

    I also have a ford 5500 in about the same shape as yours was in I have the engine out and wondered where you got your rebuild kit and other parts. I would love to see any pictures you have of your restoration! I am slowly taking everything apart and sandblasting it piece by piece in my cabinet. Please email me any pictures you have my email is [email protected] or give me a call 973-670-6496 thanks !!

  9. #9rust farmer2012-11-30 14:02

    Nice looking machine. I just bought a 55000 from craigslist. Do you have the back window for the cab? My back window is missing. Could you take some pictures of your back window from inside the cab? I am not sure how the window is attached. I hope my machine looks as nice as yours when I get done.