Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Ford 555 (1983) Throttle link removal

Michael Caravaglia ยท 2019-11-06 14:29

Does anyone know how to disconnect the throttle linkage (attached picture). For some reason I don't understand it's connected to the shuttle cover under the fuel tank, which I'm trying to remove. It appears to be grommeted on?

Replies9
  1. #1chas3572019-11-06 17:32

    two 7/16 open end wrenches should just un bolt

  2. #2Clawed Backster2019-11-06 21:36

    If it is like the one on mine, there is a sleeve which slides away from the end of the rod, which allows you to pull the rod up off of the little ball that it swivels on.

  3. #3Check Break2019-11-06 23:31

    It's a quick detach ball joint linkage. Pull on the outer sleeve and pop it off. Here's a YT video.

  4. #4Michael Caravaglia2019-11-07 08:36

    I was not aware of this sleeve and quick-connect, so thank you for the (good) information. However, removing this still does not release the cover plate. I have attached an annotated picture that should clarify the issue. Any ideas?

  5. #5Tinkerer2019-11-07 09:13

    I don't think those are grommets you have pointed out. Most likely are tension pins that can be driven out with a pin punch.

  6. #6Michael Caravaglia2019-11-07 09:26

    Possibly. They are quite "fluted" at the ends. Like you would flare the end of a copper pipe when doing plumbing.

  7. #7Tinkerer2019-11-07 09:48

    That is why it is important to use the proper size pin punch. They won't bell the end of a tension pin like a regular punch will.

  8. #8Check Break2019-11-07 10:49

    You never have to cut anything to remove it, unless you're performing a short cut. Those look like hardened split pins to me. Standard Ford fare. Drive the pin through the bellcrank taking care not to bend the shaft through which it travels. I thought I'd give you a link to the parts page at messicks.com so you could see for yourself what you're working on, but this is one of those Ford parts that's hidden somewhere and I can't find it. I don't have much time on C-s and D-s and don't recall the part you're dealing with but if I were in your spot, I'd be tapping on that pin with a pin punch and moving on. If you are where I am looking at the bellcrank and the pin you've circled, drive the pin towards the cover plate. You should be fine, as the tab welded to the cover plate shaft supports the shaft.

  9. #9Check Break2019-11-07 11:04

    Ok. So I suffered some brain damage Monday and it's carried over to Thursday. For some reason I thought you said you had a 555C when all the time I was looking at your picture saying, that's the transmission linkage, but it can't be because you have a "C". Now that I realize you have a 555, check out these links on Messicks.com. That's the transmission linkage you're trying to remove, not the throttle linkage. Otherwise, drive out the pin as I mentioned above. (03) Transmission. (07B10) TC Trans Control Lever. Part Nos. 30 & 31. https://www.messicks.com/nhc/48653 (03) Transmission. (07B01) 4x4 Power Reverse TC Trans. Part No. 67. https://www.messicks.com/nhc/48653