Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Ford 555 4 x 4 transmission

cannedman ยท 2011-06-21 10:46

I have pulled the engine on my Ford 555 and in the process of having it rebuilt. My thoughts are while the engine is out rebuild the transmission also. Has anyone tackled 4 x 4 power reversing transmission? I have not been able to find anyone close that rebuilds them. The mechanic that is rebuilding the engine says that he willing to try. I just wanted some opinions before we start. This is a 1983 model 555 Ser# 0710185. TIA Leonard

Replies2
  1. #1El Hombre2011-06-22 12:37

    I think that job is a dealer only thang. I wander into my local Ford dealer and they usually have at least one tranny scattered apart on a bench. If your tech is good, knows what to look for as to what's worn, takes advantage of picking the brains of the dealer techs when you buy the dealer only parts for that tranny, it could work out.

  2. #2cannedman2011-06-22 16:11

    That is a great idea I will check into that. Thanks and have a great day.